Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys we put the Vega drag car away for the year and pulled the engine out and tore it down. When we got to the bottom end you wouldn"t belive what we found.Three of the main caps and two rod bearings where barley even there. I think by the looks of the crank it will be able to be turned. All this after turning a 8.2 second pass to win our class. There was no hint of power lose or oil pressure drop, it was just incrediable I didn"t blow the engine all to hell.Concidering I am shifting at about 8500 rpm on a 454 stroked motor.We still can't belive it. Someone was watching over me.The funny part about it is we only put about 2 miles on an oil change that is about 8 passes down the quarter and we always check the oil for filings, oh well LUCKY US

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
sounds good it didnt blow on the strip, aalot less damage then if it hadda went in that race

·
Registered
528 Posts
It would be cool to see some pictures. How many cubic inches is the 454, you said it was stroked. It must really be built to handle 8500 rpm.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We run out of St. Thomas I like the track much better and the air is alot better. Meaning that I can lean the carb out much more than at Cayuga ( Toronto motorsport park) On a hot summer day at cayuga you have to really run rich because the air is just not there. I think St. Thomas being surrounded by trees helps with the air more O2 thus being able to run the engine alot leaner. I live in Niagara Falls but race at St. Thomas, I have been running there for years as a matter of fact I used to live in Kitchener and used to work at the Highland rd. ctc

·
Registered
864 Posts
We were there two weeks back to run at St Thomas. I like it there instead of cayuga. It's not as formal and usually not as busy. I've sat in the staging lanes at cayuga and end up shutting it off and pushing it to the line.
Don't run anything formal ust a s10 with a mild 8. Startedas my towing truck and had to put the spank on a few import freinds. Hunting for heads for the spring .
They just closed the highland store inthe last two weeks and openen the new style CTC at Fisher Hallman and the expressway.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to try to get some pics of my 82 bmw with the 355 chevy sb with about 425 h.p. I have posted some pics here of it in progress but nothing recent. If you go to the shop area you can find some pics of the bmw under bmw project 355. It sounds like Kitchener is really growing I guess Octoberfest must not be really big with the no smoking by-law now eh. So what does the S10 turn in the quarter? We were suppose to be at Cayuga for the AC DELCO national this year but blew the rear end up in the Vega. So being a employee at a Chevy dealership here I got to go and SIT and watch in the VIP area. It was the first time I drove to Cayuga with out a trailer on the back of my truck, the funny thing was on the way up I kept looking behind me to check my trailer but it wasn't there hahah. It sounds like Timmins is getting dumped on with snow. Oh by the way a friend of mine works at the Zerhs by the beer store by Highway Market? I think that is the area I think thats the one just off the King St. highway area I know how to get there just cant remember names of streets. If you ever go in there Ask for Paul Yarmey and say hi for me thanks talk Later Bill

·
Registered
864 Posts
Had a quick look in the shop area.. no luck.
I friend in engineering has a 72 bmw 2 door, 3 l with a cutom turbo and 15 lbs of boost, sweet lil car. Have a few mpg's of the weekend.
Plain street tires ,normal air pressure, had terrble 2.4 sec 60'. Best was a 14.603 @95. Last year before the posi was a ble to get a 2.1! Friend's GTA with work done was a 14.3, the bmw was also a 14.3.
what are you using for heads? , HPC showed a buildup with my same bottome end using vortec's that I was impressed with. Ideas on a reasonalbe head?
running flsat tops in a plain Gm crate motor.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
/snofan/../images/users/canadianguy/bills%20bmw%20hood.jpg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont know what I did wrong to get the pic to come out like that but you get the picture ahah. The hood is now painted. As for heads the complete engine is out of my old drag car, a 1982 monte carlo ss. The car being a full size car was pretty heavy and turned a 11.0 The heads are plained 30 with 1:6 roller rockers the big aluminum ones.They are ported and polished to match the intake and headers.As for your heads we have found that the 305 vortec heads work really well with a little work.Nice small comb. chamber on them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts