Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand and type of torque wrench works best/are you using? I have heard that the digital ones don't work that great and some have a huge awkward dial on them that is hard to read. I want one that clicks when you reach the specified torque. I always use my buddies but that is getting old and his isn't that great.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I own 3 snap on torque wrench clicker type. A 1/4 inch, a 3/8 inch and a 1/2 inch.
They are spendy but you pay for what you get. If you get a cheap torque wrench, alot of them can be as far off as 10 to 15 ft. lbs. That can make the difference of a snapped bolt or stripped threads.
Been there ,done that years ago.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by greasemonkey
[br]I own 3 snap on torque wrench clicker type. A 1/4 inch, a 3/8 inch and a 1/2 inch.
They are spendy but you pay for what you get. If you get a cheap torque wrench, alot of them can be as far off as 10 to 15 lbs. That can make the difference of a snapped bolt or stripped threads.
Good advice.

I think our torque wrench at the shop is a Westward one. Westward stuff has been good to us and we tested it against our neighbor's Snap-On before I used it on anything, they both clicked at the same settings so we figured it was close enough.

Plus we rarely torque anything. Just important stuff like engine parts. For the most part hand tight or impact tight is good enough.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I own a snap-on digital 3-8 drive, works very good. But the only thing is that those digital model eat the batteries so quick! The clicker model are precise too, but if you do precision torque with, you have to calibrate it each year. You know what? I think the best buy you can made is to get he Maximum Mastercraft torque wrench. If you can wait a little, they always came 50% of the price. Instead paying it 100$ you will have it for 50$. Its life time warranty! I found that the SK tool works great too. But believe me, any of the model you will choose, its a matter of how often and how careless you will use the tool that will make the most accurate reading!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris-Man
[br]
Originally posted by greasemonkey
[br]I own 3 snap on torque wrench clicker type. A 1/4 inch, a 3/8 inch and a 1/2 inch.
They are spendy but you pay for what you get. If you get a cheap torque wrench, alot of them can be as far off as 10 to 15 lbs. That can make the difference of a snapped bolt or stripped threads.
Good advice.

I think our torque wrench at the shop is a Westward one. Westward stuff has been good to us and we tested it against our neighbor's Snap-On before I used it on anything, they both clicked at the same settings so we figured it was close enough.

Plus we rarely torque anything. Just important stuff like engine parts. For the most part hand tight or impact tight is good enough.
That is what we did on the farm too. Impact tight or right before breaking point of the bolt. (A)

I have a snap on 1/4" drive click type. Works good enough for me. To be real accurate you have to send it away every year to get calibrated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts