Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[?]How is the best way to hook up a rope to tow a snowmobile with another snowmobile. Would be over lakes and through portages, could be 50 miles. Thanks

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I've heard that towing a sled by it's skiis can be bad. I tow a sled (usually an Artic Cat[:p]) by the ski spindels or by the bumper (not an option on most newer sleds).

Why would you be towing a snowmobile for 50 miles? Wouldn't it be easier to drive it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We will be going on a bush trip for 4 days north of the artic circle, and I fully expect a snowmobile to break down. There are no roads around, and repairs may not be possible.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Caminuvik get yourself one of those little plastic sleds for kids that you can put under the track so it slides real easy. Tie the rope to the spindle have the person sit on the sled and away ya go. One time I had to remove the suspension, push the track up into the tunnel and bolt the suspension back in and pull it on the rails. The snow was 4 ft deep and we couldn't pull the sled with 2 sleds hooked on to it. I would not want to tow a sled 50 miles. Riley

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Riley,

They actually make a thing like that. It is supposed to roll real nice and then unroll to place under the track. A little searching I'm sure will produce some results.

Agreed, if you might tow for a great distance, you'll want something to place under the track for easier towing.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If no one is steering you almost have to tow it by the tips of the skis and remove the belt. The plastic sled under the track is a great idea. It's very hard on the tow sled to pull a sled with a rider aboard. Hope you don't break down.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I had heard, someone, somewhere, sometime, etc. that the way the rope was run between pulled snowmobile and pulling snowmobile it would not require anyone to sit and steer the pulled snowmobile? Also the belt was removed between clutches for free running of track. The child's snow sled sounds like a great idea for track damage etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[|)]should of read before I posted. I thought that part of the rope was free running, but not sure on which sled. I sure hope we don't have a break down, but sooner or later. Have nearly two more months of snowmobiling yet to go.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Unfortunatly i'm an expert at towing people (normally AC's) i go off the ski spindles and remove the belt. It works really well. The other thing that i do is i have installed three hooks onto my snow flap and taken a HEAVY mud flap and put three matching holes in it and hook it onto my mud flap whenever i tow someone. Just saves a lot of spray from hitting the other person and makes it more enjoyable to be towed. Not that it should be an enjoyable thing anyhow....

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey, if you are still looking for info on towing out a broken down sled (prolly an AC..LOL J/K) I found a web site in my travels that has just such an item that you may be interested in... http://www.buddytow.com/ Hope this helps you out....(actually I hope you never need it, but...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts