Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option #4

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already know your guys opinion, but I'm going to ask anyway. Here is my situation.....

Most of you know, I live in Hawaii right now. This fall, we are moving to Louisiana until Aug of 2011. I obviously want a new(er) sled for when I get back to MN for the winter of 11/12. I was talking to the wife last week and she asked me if my good buddy (440_rocket) knows what sled I want just in case she gives him money to buy me a sled. But since I won't be in MN for another year and a half, a 4-wheeler might suit me better and wait for a couple years on a sled. I will use the 4-wheeler for hunting and playing in LA. Budget is approx $6,000. Here are my options of getting a new toy....

#1- Buy the sled I want now (2006+ Switchback or something similar) and just ride it a few times this winter. Would a 600 be enough for me? I'm 6'3" 300 without gear on. Will I be happy with a 600? I really want a 2011 Switchback Assault 800, but they are too much $$$. Wait for a 4-wheeler and sled for wife for 3-4 years.

#2- Buy a sled for the wife that will work for me for a year (maybe an iq 600 or iqr 600 or something similar), then buy me a sled for 2011/12 winter (slight possibility of a 2011 Switchback Assault). Wait on 4-wheeler for 3-4 years.

#3- Buy a 4-wheeler (2010 or 2011 Sportsman 850 XP). Wait on the sled for me for 2-3 years and the wife for 3-4 years.

#4- None of the above. Please explain your opinions.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I think youd regret using a sled four times a year when you could be using a wheeler 4 times a week.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
i voted for the 2 becuase when you want to come back to riding, you might as well have the latest and greatest. find a used wheeler for your stay in Lou. then sell when ya leave?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
So lets get this straight: your in Hawaii right now, but are moving to Loisiana fall 2010 untill August 2011 (11-15 months ish) in Loisiana. Then staying in Loisiani untill the 2011-2012 riding season (approx. 3months in Loisiana??) at least thats the impression im under... If what i described (in Hawaii for another 4-7 months, then i Loisiana for 11-15 months, then moving back to MN after 3-5 months in Loisiana) I would do the following:

Buy a cheaper bike ($3000 mark) and get your self a 2003-2005 Polaris Sportsman 600-800 for a good used bike and ride it untill you get back to MN for the 2011-2012 riding season.

for the 2011-2012 riding season, buy a cheap/good used Polaris IQ 600cfi for the wife that you can ride for the season (approx. $3500 by the time 2012 rolls around). And buy yourself a 2011 Polaris Assault Switchback 800 as it will be a left over and $4000+ cheaper if you find the right deal for either the 2012-2013 or 2013-2014 riding season.

So for say, in 2014 you have a good bike (example: 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800h.o efi), a nice sled for the wife (example: 2006 Polaris IQ 600cfi) and a 2011 Polaris Assault Switchback 800cfi for yourself.

Then in a year or two, upgrade the fourwheeler & wifes sled..........

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jesse500 said:
So lets get this straight: your in Hawaii right now, but are moving to Loisiana fall 2010 untill August 2011 (11-15 months ish) in Loisiana[/color=red]. Then staying in Loisiani untill the 2011-2012 riding season (approx. 3months in Loisiana??)[/color=red] at least thats the impression im under... If what i described (in Hawaii for another 4-7 months, then i Loisiana for 11-15 months, then moving back to MN after 3-5 months in Loisiana)[/color=red] I would do the following:

Buy a cheaper bike ($3000 mark) and get your self a 2003-2005 Polaris Sportsman 600-800 for a good used bike and ride it untill you get back to MN for the 2011-2012 riding season.

for the 2011-2012 riding season, buy a cheap/good used Polaris IQ 600cfi for the wife that you can ride for the season (approx. $3500 by the time 2012 rolls around). And buy yourself a 2011 Polaris Assault Switchback 800 as it will be a left over and $4000+ cheaper if you find the right deal for either the 2012-2013 or 2013-2014 riding season.

So for say, in 2014 you have a good bike (example: 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800h.o efi), a nice sled for the wife (example: 2006 Polaris IQ 600cfi) and a 2011 Polaris Assault Switchback 800cfi for yourself.

You just confused me. Sept 2010 we are moving to LA. Aug 2011 we are moving to MN. If I get a sled, I will be buying the summer of 2011, so I can ride winter 2011/2012.

I will be looking at new/slightly used 4-wheeler (2010+) so it will last me a while. I don't like switching every-other year.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I would say hold off on the toys for the time being. If you are in LA you're going to be pissed that you have a sled sitting and you aren't able to ride it, as well as taking the depreciation on something that you're not getting any use out of.

I wouldn't buy a wheeler either, moving sucks, and having one more thing to drag with, especially something the size of a wheeler wouldn't be particularily easy.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
lol. save all your money. buy two sleds and a bike as soon as you get moved into Mn :)

bigrok said:
jesse500 said:
So lets get this straight: your in Hawaii right now, but are moving to Loisiana fall 2010 untill August 2011 (11-15 months ish) in Loisiana[/color=red]. Then staying in Loisiani untill the 2011-2012 riding season (approx. 3months in Loisiana??)[/color=red] at least thats the impression im under... If what i described (in Hawaii for another 4-7 months, then i Loisiana for 11-15 months, then moving back to MN after 3-5 months in Loisiana)[/color=red] I would do the following:

You just confused me. Sept 2010 we are moving to LA. Aug 2011 we are moving to MN. If I get a sled, I will be buying the summer of 2011, so I can ride winter 2011/2012.

I will be looking at new/slightly used 4-wheeler (2010+) so it will last me a while. I don't like switching every-other year.

So from now, using round figures, 5 more months in Hawaii, 12 months in Loisiana then off to MN?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
flatlander_summit said:
I would say hold off on the toys for the time being. If you are in LA you're going to be pissed that you have a sled sitting and you aren't able to ride it, as well as taking the depreciation on something that you're not getting any use out of.

I wouldn't buy a wheeler either, moving sucks, and having one more thing to drag with, especially something the size of a wheeler wouldn't be particularily easy.
That's why I want a 4-wheeler to use in LA.

Moving with a 4-wheeler wouldn't worry me at all. The Army will pay for the moving. [:D] Or if I move everything, they will pay me a certain $$ per mile per pound.

jesse500 said:
So from now, using round figures, 5 more months in Hawaii, 12 months in Loisiana then off to MN?
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Option 4. Have you talked with your financial advisor? (wife) What does she think? Marital happiness could depend on how you treat her opinion.

If she doesn't care, my opinion would be to start with the wheeler.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
so buy a 2010 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 in 5 months, and a cheaper sled for the wife that you can ride in the 2011-2012 season and then buy yourself a fancy sled for 2012-2013 season.

How long you in MN for?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
bigrok said:
If I get a sled, I will be buying the summer of 2011, so I can ride winter 2011/2012.

I will be looking at new/slightly used 4-wheeler (2010+) so it will last me a while.
Sounds like you've already got it figured out.

I don't really understand the sled for the wife deal. Is your wife living in MN the whole time you'll be in HI and LA? If so, and she rides, she definitely needs a sled. If not, she doesn't need a sled.

Screw the wheeler in LA. Put the wheeler money under your mattress and then buy a 2012 Switchback Assault in August 2011. Then, only if you have leftover money burning a hole in your pocket, get a wheeler in MN.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
your wife is in MN and your in Hawaii? and your there by yourself, and are going to be by yourself in LA too? or is she with you for the whole time?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jesse500 said:
so buy a 2010 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 in 5 months, and a cheaper sled for the wife that you can ride in the 2011-2012 season and then buy yourself a fancy sled for 2012-2013 season.

How long you in MN for?[/color=red]

Forever.

JD said:
Sounds like you've already got it figured out.

I don't really understand the sled for the wife deal. Is your wife living in MN the whole time you'll be in HI and LA? If so, and she rides, she definitely needs a sled. If not, she doesn't need a sled.

Screw the wheeler in LA. Put the wheeler money under your mattress and then buy a 2012 Switchback Assault in August 2011. Then, only if you have leftover money burning a hole in your pocket, get a wheeler in MN.
My wife is the reason we are moving so much. She's in the Army. That throws another curve in the road. If/when she deploys, I will be living in MN.

I will get much more use out of a 4-wheeler. You can use them year round on my dad's farm (once I get back to MN).

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
So why does your wife need a sled while she's in the Army?

It sounds like you'll be buying brand new, be it a sled or a four-wheeler, so why do you have to plan all this out right now? Just buy the sled when you get to MN. Finding a brand new sled sitting somewhere on a dealer's showroom is rarely a problem.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Your going to be in lousiana. Get an ATV for now, because LA is the best overall state to ride wheelers, period. Bring it to MN with you, and use the wheeler as a trade in.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JD said:
So why does your wife need a sled while she's in the Army?

It sounds like you'll be buying brand new, be it a sled or a four-wheeler, so why do you have to plan all this out right now? Just buy the sled when you get to MN. Finding a brand new sled sitting somewhere on a dealer's showroom is rarely a problem.
She doesn't. It will be a year and a half until she will get it. I would use it next winter.

I was thinking about it now because she offered to buy me a sled last week. So that's why I'm planning it out.

sledcrusher said:
Your going to be in lousiana. Get an ATV for now, because LA is the best overall state to ride wheelers, period. Bring it to MN with you, and use the wheeler as a trade in.[/color=red]

That won't happen. You lose your @$$ on most things trading them in.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I picked #2 because in the end you will end up with the sled you want because by the time you are ready to buy your sled the new RMK assualts will be cheaper. I think option 3 is pretty good too because as tdgbigfoot said you will get way more use out of the 4-wheeler in the next few years.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I pretty sure I'm going to go with a wheeler this fall. Unless I find a good deal on a sled I want. I just found an 09 RMK Shift 800 144" that I like.

·
Registered
584 Posts
bigrok said:
I pretty sure I'm going to go with a wheeler this fall. Unless I find a good deal on a sled I want. I just found an 09 RMK Shift 800 144" that I like.
i would jsut scan the local craigslsit every once in a while for a sled you could get a decent sled for your wife for under 3,500 that you could buy looking for summer deals on craigslist.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts