Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Since my 02 mxz has a TRA in it, and that is adjustable, is adjusting it the same as buying an expensive clutch kit from, say, Heelklicker (this being a full clutch kit with ramps, spring, helix and weights)? I dont want to spend the money if switching bolts will do the same thing. The ultimate goal here would be to get the maximum amount of acceleration I can for 1000 foot runs. Feel free to point me in the right direction if this has already been posted.
Thanks
Fasty

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I'm fairly sure that adjusting the clutch only adjust's the top RPM's which in turn would affect speed. I don't think it's going to help you get to the top speed any faster by adjusting the TRA clutch. following posters feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The TRA clutches are the most highly tunable clutches on the market. I dont understand what you mean when you say "changing bolts". Changing the clickers will affect your bottom end(acceleration) but the most recognizable affect will be top rpm. If you want this clutch to perform you need to get into it and start changing parts. Trial and error is the best way to get some horsepower but the hardest and most expensive.
I personally dont like clutch kits. But they are the easiest and cheapest. For hard acceleration changing gearing will help but will take away from your top end.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The clickers are there to change the top end rpm without having to change weights in the clutch. A lot of flat land mountain guys do nothing more than turn the clickers from here to the mountains. Although not completely the right thing to do it's dooable.

For you to change your engagement and acceleration you will need to look at probably changing the gearing and some clutching. Like BC said, unfortunately trial an error is something that will likely be what you will have to do unless you hit up dootalk and found someone with your exact sled that has done clutching before.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
flatlander_summit said:
The clickers are there to change the top end rpm without having to change weights in the clutch. A lot of flat land mountain guys do nothing more than turn the clickers from here to the mountains. Although not completely the right thing to do it's dooable.

For you to change your engagement and acceleration you will need to look at probably changing the gearing and some clutching. Like BC said, unfortunately trial an error is something that will likely be what you will have to do unless you hit up dootalk and found someone with your exact sled that has done clutching before.
At a similiar elevation. Clutching it tricky, but great if you can get it dialed.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Flatlander.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Increasing spring pressure (drive clutch) raises engagement rpm. Lighter ramps will squeeze the belt faster to a point but the ramp profile is important. The profile determines how fast the clutch squeezes the belt. The more power the engine has the more agressive a profile you can run. I'm just learning this stuff-

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
slayerfish said:
Increasing spring pressure (drive clutch) raises engagement rpm. Lighter ramps will squeeze the belt faster to a point but the ramp profile is important. The profile determines how fast the clutch squeezes the belt. The more power the engine has the more agressive a profile you can run. I'm just learning this stuff-
Not only do weights, ramps, and springs change your engagements but they can change the power band greatly. Especially ramps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
aaen performance sells a book on clutch tuning, i would get that and a bunch of parts or order a dalton, dinamo joe, cuney or goodwin clutch kit

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I like the aaen, but I like the skidoo racing hand book better. Easy to read charts with all the information you will ever need.

·
Registered
71 Posts
BskidooC said:
I like the aaen, but I like the skidoo racing hand book better. Easy to read charts with all the information you will ever need.
X2!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts