Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post, and I hope someone can help me out. I recently became the owner of a 92 Mach 1 for $250. The outer half, or the piece that hides the spring & arms, has chunks of metal missing. I figured replacing the clutch would be the easiest way to go, but they're hard to find used and new is just a wee bit too much money.
Will any TRA clutch half work, or am I going to just have to break open the piggy bank here?
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
you should be able to just replace the parts needed, I wouldn't spend the money to buy a whole new clutch when you can order the peices needed from any doo dealer.

http://216.37.204.206/xtremepowersports/Skidoo_OEM/Skidoo.asp?Type=13&A=100&B=14

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
What about balancing the unit when the new parts are on it? I know my TRA has specific balance alignment marks on it. Who can balance the clutch?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you know that's a damn good question, I would start with the dealer, if they can't do it. I would be searching the local automotive store's (not the discount chain guys) like napa or someone locally that you trust and see if they have the capabilities to do it. I personally would think that the dealer should be able to do the balancing though.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Originally posted by Offshore24
[br]What about balancing the unit when the new parts are on it? I know my TRA has specific balance alignment marks on it. Who can balance the clutch?
What about a shop who makes drive shaft and dynamic balancing, or a machinist ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, balancing never even occurred to me. Thanks.
But what I'm wondering, being the cheap SOB that I am, is whether the part in question is the same on all TRA clutches, or if I need to look for a specific donor sled. Ski-doo's replacement part is still over $200US new.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
you could always try to find another ski doo that has the same engine that you have. if your wanting to go that route.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm almost sure that all tra's are the same until 99' or so. After a certain year doo came out with the next generation tra's so they might not be the same. Some clutches come with a piece of rubber on the front that balances them, but I would check with your dealer on balancing. If they can't a machine shop should be able to do the trick.

·
Registered
295 Posts
if there is pieces missing, i would not run that clutch spinning at 7900-8100 rpm. no thanks.if it decides to let go,look out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts