Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have advice for me on how to break free both of my track tension adjustment bolts on my 1997 polaris? I am afraid I am going to break the bolts. My neighbor said it happened to him and has know many people with the same issue. He had to break them however I would like to try all means first. Any suggestions are appreciated!![?]

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm not familiar with that suspension but the only sure way to undo a seized bolt is heat. You have to make sure that you heat the nut (or female threaded component) because the heat expands the part.

If it moves a little bit then you could try some release oil and work the bolt back and forth.

Once you get it apart a little Never Seize will on the threads will prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
In addition to what has been said:

Spray some WD-40 or similar product all over it, and then lightly tap on the bolt with a hammer. This vibration sends the corrosion-dissolving fluid deep into the tiny crevices where the threads are and breaks it free. After a minute or two, try and loosen the bolt. It doesn't always work, but it's amazing how easily it will break loose when it does work.

Be careful when using heat on aluminum parts. Your adjustment bolt is hardened steel, but the bracket it is threaded into on the rails is all aluminum. Just a word of caution.

G

·
0 Posts
Like everyone said, heat and WD-40. A propane bottle torch will provide enough heat without fear of melting the aluminum.

D

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all - I spent three hours this afternoon trying to break them free with no success. I used WD 40 and a torch. Has anyone ever had the rivets drilled out and put new aluminum brakcets back on?? I will keep trying tomorrow however I am very afraid that I am going to break the bolt off. If the bolt was not so long I could get better leverage on it with our worrying about breaking the bolt off. What a bear this afternoon has been!!!! I enjoy working on sleds however I do not accept defeat very well..[:(] The whole reason I started this project was to move the rear suspension stop block back one hole to the factory setting so I can get a better ride on the trail. It was set up for radar runs on ice. Now I got a mess on my hands!!!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
LMAO!

But not at the same time :)
WD-40 and a torch makes a fun combination.
(Flammable)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No megaman no fires today.. I did drop out the suspension to make it easier to work on. The mood I am in right now maybe a fire would of been more fun!!
Thanks for the humor[:D]

·
Registered
711 Posts
I am very familar with your problem and can tell you most likley you will not get the bolts out. What you need to do is take the suspension out, remove the rear axel and wheels, then use a four inch grinder to grind off the rivits, Then use a punch and a large hammer to pop the rivits out. Get two new or used adjusters and just use bolts with lock nuts to reattach them. hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
hell the rear adjusters on my 83 indy 600 broke free real easy after pb blaster for 4 hours then heating it then slapping it a few times with a ball pein hammer and she broke right free

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Skidoo55x - Thanks for the great advice- maybe once the wife and kids go to bed I will try this. Sounds like it would work great. Bobinwi what is pb blaster? These bolts are miserably rusted and with the long bolt it starts to twist before you get any muscle behind it. I have a 3" steel pipe that is 6' long and with this leverage I can usually break anything free but not this one. She is soaked with WD 40 maybe a miracle will occur tonight and these bolts will come free however I doubt it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've got one bolt that does the same. After soaking many a day with liquid wrench, I used the breaker bar with the rail held firm.[:I]

It moves now, slowly, creaky...I try not to think about it...

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
steal and aluminum bond together pretty well, i ran into this a lot at john deere, they had aluminum wing nut on a steel shaft, you could take that thing off just fine and all off a sudden it would seaze to the shaft, cutting the nut in half was the only way, on the sled i have ran into this on the aluminum cross shafts before, cut the bolt heads off and get a new shaft and bolts.

·
Registered
777 Posts
madcow
i know what you mean,but this is the track adjuster bolts,
pretty much garantee if you have the bolt already twisting from trying to loosen it, they are going to break,before you get them out,find some used ones.and bolt them on.
just to add one last thing,heat up as mentioned by bobw use the hammer on the head of the bolt while turning at the same time.

G

·
0 Posts
When I went from a 136" to a 144" track, I just ground off the rivets and punched them out so I could reuse the adjuster on the extensions. I just used small bolts, I think 1/4", maybe 5/16" with nylon locking nuts and have not had any problems with the bolts coming loose. It sounds like you may be going down this rode with your stuck bolts.
Best of luck.

D

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all for the wonderful advice [:D] I am happy to report that after grinding off the head of the rivets they popped off like nothing[:p]. I put them in my vice and while using my torch and a long handled pipe wrench tried to crank on them to try to salvage the aluminum pieces however as they started to turn I went around on each one two or three times and they seized up again and broke[}:)]. Funny how after I did get them turning the broke on me[:(]. It is amazing how corroded they were - Maybe if I get time I will post the pics on my profile page. Thank you for all your help - What a great forum - I am glad that I joined!!!!!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was able to post one of the pics in my profile of the bolts from hell!! Being the FNG I have not figured out how to post pics in this forum?? Any click on my profile and my pics and you will see the bolts.

·
Registered
777 Posts
well the bright side is,they can,t be very expensive,there easy to install,and the snow is a long ways away,i would think you would have to find used,someone correct me here,Als Snowmobile Salvage is suppose to good,if i find the site i,ll post it,

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I created a web page with MSN and posted the pics of my trilogy. The site is www.msnusers.com/GMANN Let me know what you think. Once I learn how to post pics here I won't make you leave the site.
GMANN[:D]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts