Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to replace broken clips on my track myself without having to buy the special tool?
Also what does everyone use to clean the clutch surfaces??
How often should those cluthes be serviced, i have about 6000km on 94 safari and i dont think they have been touched other then just cleaned..what usually needs to be done?

thanks
nick

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The only way I know of putting new track clips on PROPERLY, and that being the operative word here, is with a track clip tool. Now I've heard of guys putting them on with vise grips and such, but IMO its a waist of time and a waist of the clip. They don't go on the right way, and there for can be ripped off and come spitting out of the back of your sled.

The track clip tools are designed to clamp the clip on, so that they close around the rubber with the proper shape and pressure. They're a little pricey ($65-$90 or so). I'd recomend buying one your self, or see if any of your other sledding buddies might have one you could borrow.

As for clutch service, with the amount of km's you say you have, it definately wouldn't hurt. There's rollers, buttons, etc that can all wear out over time. If you're "mechaniclly inclined" then I'd say pick yourself up a shop manual for your sled and do it yourself. If not, then bring it to a dealer. The price can vary, depending on what needs to be done.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts