Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sdfgdsfg[/font=Comic Sans MS]

[/color=teal]

Hey everyone, I have a question about clipping a track. I have a 136", 2" lug paddle track which needs to get clipped down about 3/4 of an inch to fit in my tunnel. I was curious to know if any one has done this before and found a tool which works decent. And if anyone thinks I'm headed for issues by clipping it. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry everyone. I messed up on asking what my question was. I was wondering what tools work best to cut/trim the paddle size so it will not rub on the heat exchangers. again, my apologies

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
you only need to cut off about 0.4" to make it clear the exchangers (without studs) if you have a 2001 XcSp 600. And all you need to do is measure each lug, and use a grinder with a cutting dish to cut them, use a white chalk pen to mark off your cut line. the heat from the grinder will burn the top of the lug to keep it intact.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I just used a utility knife with a new blade. Like a hot knife through butter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jesse500- The grinder idea sounds fool proof,thanks,

Luke-how have the paddles worn since using the utility knife? just wondering becuase I don't want to slice them off then have them begin to wear funny from it. I live in WI and we don't get that much powder so it is sometimes trail riding..I don't plan on staying in WI all winter. I plan on trailering out. Just curious. Thanks[8D]

are there any downsides to using a utility knife? Would it be better to use the Grinder method? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Grinder method will be alot better. What Jesse meant about theheat is that when you cut a track it leaves the strings exposed. That way with the grinder it will melt the strings solid. No
heat formed using a utility knife

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Dragon700 said:
Grinder method will be alot better. What Jesse meant about theheat is that when you cut a track it leaves the strings exposed. That way with the grinder it will melt the strings solid. No
heat formed using a utility knife
There are no strings or cords in the lugs. When you cut a lug the only thing you are exposing is a different part of rubber with the exact same structural integrity as the tip of the lug. I never liked the grinder, seems a little excessive for cutting a piece of your lug off to clear a heat exchanger. Its like using a shotgun for a mouse, imo.

When you cut that part of the lug shorter than the rest there is no "wear" issue because the part you cut is now lower than the rest of the lugs on the track. When youre on hard pack the cut lugs wont contact very much at all. The only thing they will touch is powder.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, Thank you everyone for your advice. I really apreciate it, I think I may try both to just see what they look like when its all said and done. Thanks again! [8D]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts