Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am having a problem with my 1998 xc 700 it is going into gear kinda rough it engages at 4500 rpms and even when I rev it up slow to engage it it hits into gear hard . wondering if there are any idea's on what it could be or what I need to adjust to fix it thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice sled,i got the same thing sitting out in my shop.Check your primary clutch .You might have a broken spring or flat spots on your weights/rollers.It could be your bushings are hammered too.Does it rev a little too high all the time?How many miles and whens the last time you had the clutches rebuilt?

Good luck

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I just got the sled a few months ago and I dont think the clutch was ever rebuilt to tell ya the truth. I think I will look into that It goes pretty good I am studding the track this week. Is your track studded if so how many did you use and did it hook up better I have found going across the lake the track spins a lot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check your driveline by moving your secondary back and fourth by hand, that will eliminate the other half.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
id go with 192 picks for that sled,sjould do the trick..maybe all down the middle..i installed 370 screw studs into the lugs of my track on the 03 sks and boy oh boy does it hook up and take off like a bullet,big difference

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
the reason why it engages hard is because there is too much clearence between the sheaves and the belt at idle. You will need to have your mechanic take apart the clutch, and remove a spacer to get the clutch to close a little more. MAKE sure you have the correct belt, and it's not worn first!!!!

My bet is that the belt is worn so that it is thinner than stock, which will cause that problem.

-Dean

·
Registered
66 Posts
Originally posted by ripperd2
[br]the reason why it engages hard is because there is too much clearence between the sheaves and the belt at idle. You will need to have your mechanic take apart the clutch, and remove a spacer to get the clutch to close a little more. MAKE sure you have the correct belt, and it's not worn first!!!!

My bet is that the belt is worn so that it is thinner than stock, which will cause that problem.

-Dean
Yes! I agree, check the obvious first...[:)]

·
Registered
14 Posts
My track isnt studded.Im putting a camo 1.25 predator track on this week.I really dont need studs since im rarely on hardpack or ice and i dont dragrace others.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OHHH one more thing the sled dosent engage until 4500 rpms I wish it engaged earlier I think it is hitting in so hard because the prevous owner put a clutch kit in it The front clutch has a red spring I checked the driven clutch and after I reinstalled it was engaging at 3000 rpms and was soooooo smooth but it went back to 4500 in a minute and sucks again

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
4500rpms is a pretty normal engagement speed. You have it engage earlier, and it will be REAL doggy out of the hole, small motors don't develop much HP till a ways up the powerband.

-Dean

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chain tension is good I chec that every couple rides still hits in hard though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts