Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Indy 440 that is giving me some problems. What happens is when the sled is being driven at slow speeds it seems to jump forward. It feels like the track is catching and then slipping. I have checked the track and it seems to be tight enough. I also looked at the wheels that drive the track (not sure what these are called) they seem to be all there and not missing any notches. This happened last year when I got stuck in a ditch and a rock was wedged inside the track towards the front. I put a newer track with only 500 miles on it and picks in it this year. At that time nothing looked bent or broken. Does any one have any ideas what to look at or where to start to fix this problem? Could the track be to loose or tight? How would you tell if it was? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The drive chain and tension seemed fine before I took it apart to put the new track on. I made sure the tension was the same when it went back together.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
That happened to me once. I would tighten the track, but it would still skip and ratchet. It turned out that the drive axle was bent, plus the bearings on that same shaft where destroyed causing all sorts of problems. But Hotrod is right, it still could be the chain tension because if the bearings are worn uneven, or the shaft is bent, your steel sprockets and the plastic drive wheels could all be rotating in a wobbly circle causing these problems. I would check that drive shaft carefully, especially since you mentioned a rock was in there. It took me awhile to diagnose this problem on my machine. The shaft was about $70 new. I had the plastic wheels pressed back on. Good luck!

Let it snow!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hotrod is does sound like a ratcheting noise when driving it around.

MegaMan I will have to take it apart and look at the shaft. That is such a pain to take out to. Well better to fix it now then wait until something bad happens.

Thanks to the both of you for the information. It will help me get this thing fixed.

·
Registered
948 Posts
How many wheels do you have on the shaft, 2 or 4? You may also be able to get extrovert drivers for that sled if you have to replace them. Extroverts ride in the track 'eyes' instead of on the track nobbies (whatever they are called) If you only have 2 drive wheels adding 2 more would help eliminate the problem too. this is assuming you don't have a bent shaft of course. Let us know how you make out!

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
if it is a ratcheting noise it is probably the chain case, check chain tension again and maybe look at the sprockets and chain, might be time to replace.

There's always next year....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I found out the problem. It turned out to be the belt. It was grooved and a chunk of the cog was missing. I still can't believe I didn't check the belt. Thanks for all the help. It is nice to have a place to look for help.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I wondered about the belt. I didnt see how that could cause you to jump forward though. Must have meant when you were really going slow like five miles an hour or something. Anyway I learned somthing too.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Was it the belt or track? I'm confused. I didn't think belts had cogs.

Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hotrod yes it was when I was going about 5 miles hour was when it was most noticeable.

Bman it was the belt, the inside of my belt has what I call cogs they might be called something else.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hmmm yeah I thought it was belt too until you mentioned the 'ratcheting' noise. I get that on my A/C 550 and it is unmistakeably the track and drive cogs so I didn't think you had a belt problem. Glad you got to the bottom of it!
RIDE ON!!!!

Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I liked this post Im glad you were able to reply like you did. So many times you give out information and never here anything back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks hotrod. It is nice that I now have a place to turn to for help. Hopefully I will be able to help someone else like all of you have helped me. I have been on a few other forums that will not help out at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts