Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1997 Polaris XLT sp. When the rear suspension bottoms out I notice this noise that sounds like the track is hitting the tunnel.

Sorta like a brrrr brrrrrr brrrrrrrrr noise. Sorry best I could describe.

I checked track tension and inspetected all the bearings in the bogie wheels. All seem fine.

My buddy said that when he bought his brand new and rode it home his did the same thing and that all the extra 12 suspensions do this and that's why they did away with it.

Lemme know what you think.

KB

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
do you have studs? it sounds like the track is just coming to the tunnel protectors. no big deal. thats what they are there for.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why does it hit the tunnel protectors? Yes I forgot to mention it was studded.

It sounds horrible.

KB

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I agree with madcow, sounds like the track is rubbing on the tunnle protectors. But I would add, you want the suspension to only bottom out when you hit a bump real hard. You may need to adjust the torsion spring tension, get heavier duty springs, or have the shocks rebuilt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the heavy duty springs in it. I had the shocks rebuilt and revalved right when I got the sled. I'm 230 and it only bottoms on the BIG hits but why it does it makes that sound.

KB

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
When you bottom out, the track is rubbing on the tunnle protectors. Thats what they're there for, so when you do bottom out on hard hits, your studs won't rip into your tunnel. Sounds like everything is operating correctly.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Tighten the springs, you shouldn't bottom-out except at the most extreme bumps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Block is on HIGH

I ride it like it was stolen...........I am an extremely aggressive trail rider.

Thanks for all the input. You guys are great.

KB

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
You could also just be scraping on ice inside your tunnel, but if the studs are scaping on the protectors just get used to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts