Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Use a hole saw with a high speed drill. Many have removed the serated edge but I have seen it without that done. Make yourself a template so the track will stay well balanced and you dont cut anymore strap then you need to. You may shave a little in track weight (not enough to make it worth it) but the rotating mass that is removed when your skid is full of snow is where it is benefical. A good number and size to do would be 1.25 inch holes 2 per pitch. When you cut your holes it is best not to do it where your wheels will run them over seeing it will lead to vibrations.

Whatever you do dont make 2 holes on one then 3 on another becuase it will eliminate all the strap down the middle with staggerd holes. That does not work since there wil be no thread running the entire length pattern. With two or three holes in a line you have thread running the entire length so you will not rip a track in half and wreck your day. I would not suggest drilling the outside of your track due to your idlers hitting and causing vibration. There are littleraly hundreds of threads on this topic at snowest.com if you want to do some more background research.

0 0
0 0
0 0
=good
-0-0-
0-0-0
-0-0-
=bad

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by xtralettucetomatoe580
[br]Use a hole saw with a high speed drill. Many have removed the serated edge but I have seen it without that done. Make yourself a template so the track will stay well balanced and you dont cut anymore strap then you need to. You may shave a little in track weight (not enough to make it worth it) but the rotating mass that is removed when your skid is full of snow is where it is benefical. A good number and size to do would be 1.25 inch holes 2 per pitch. When you cut your holes it is best not to do it where your wheels will run them over seeing it will lead to vibrations.

Whatever you do dont make 2 holes on one then 3 on another becuase it will eliminate all the strap down the middle with staggerd holes. That does not work since there wil be no thread running the entire length pattern. With two or three holes in a line you have thread running the entire length so you will not rip a track in half and wreck your day. I would not suggest drilling the outside of your track due to your idlers hitting and causing vibration. There are littleraly hundreds of threads on this topic at snowest.com if you want to do some more background research.

0 0
0 0
0 0
=good
-0-0-
0-0-0
-0-0-
=bad
Ditto. I did the exact same on one of my sleds and it worked great.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Actually just finished drilling out one sled today. Do it outside cause it gets stinky.
I used a 1-1/4" hole saw. Ground off the teeth. Then filed (die grinder) the INSIDE of the bit down to a sharp edge. The bit will get hot after a couple holes, so it will cut through like butter. Also with the heat, the bit will cauterize the holes and leave you with a nice clean edge.
And with the taper on the inside of the bit, most of the plugs didn't get stuck in the bit.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Originally posted by SleD_CrEW
[br]you can use a hole drill. It takes off some weight but it kills the tighness and the whole track.
Less tightness is good in the mountains with a more flexible track. You can spin it faster and if you ride trails you can adjust that at the rear anyway. The weight loss from snow alone is worth the mod and you can aford to eat a few more Big Macs during the year.[;)]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.