Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a used track for my 90 Indy 650. Looking at the manual it seems pretty easy to change the track.

I recently changed the Jackshaft and that was hell. Just making sure that the manual is not missing any steps.

1) Remove secondary
2) Remove suspension
3) Remove Speedo and bearings
4) Remove sprocket on drive shaft
5) Slide out the shaft

So it appears that I don't have to remove the chaincase? Is this right? Is there anything I need to know to facilitate the track change. Let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
i think you will need to remove the chain case, i did when i changed my track, see there is a bearing in there where it won't let you move the drive shaft down unless the chain case is off

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Indy Triple you will need to remove the chain case to install a new track. You have 4 drivers on the front axel and you can't remove the front axel without pulling the chain case away from the chassis. Here are a couple of other tips. 1 if your old track is shot take a sharp razar knife and cut it off the sled. It will give you access to everything a lot easier and you won't have to work around it. 2 get the lock collars lose before you start removing any bolts. Getting the lock collars and bearings off the shafts can be a big job alone. 3 as long as you have it apart replace all the bearings. It will save you from taking it all apart again next winter. That's called preventive maintenance. It is a big job if you have never done this before. Take you time and watch how you take it apart. If you have any questions give me a PM. I have replaced many tracks on the wedge style chassis. Riley

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, my current track is getting ripped on the side, not sure if I should do it Saturday as I am off for three days up North next week, or wait and do it for a summer project.

How much would a shop charge me?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts