Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do studs provide much increased traction when trail riding?

Whenever I get on my stock ultra from a start I spin the track a lot and waste a lot of power and time waiting for it to grab.

Thinking of adding a set of 96 woodys.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
picks are usualy best when you do a lot of lake riding. otherwise the studds dont do a whole lot when on a groomed trail unless you dont wantto slide as much in the corners of icey trails or if you spinn your track enuf to dig down to the ground and hook up. but thats how people ruin trails.

if you do a lot of lake riding yes they are great if not and stay on groomed trails then you really dont need them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I always thought they are more for ice.

Maybe need more lug on the track but I do not think I can fit much more on a Extra 10 suspension.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
96 will do you good..

They also add a little reciprocating weight to the track which slows down the take-off spin, as well as grabbing into whatever is underneath to hook up, instead of the paddles just slipping over it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
stud it. its the one single mod that you can do to your sled that will pay off in more ways then one. especailly the first accident that you avoid because someone with out studs is sliding thru stop signs and going off the trail because they have no traction

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Carbide tipped push through type are the industry norm now, I have used Woodys,Roetin and Stud Boy studs with great results in the past, there are brands out there that cost less but you get what you pay for, as the cheaper studs are exactly that and you will bend and break more of them.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
And broken studs tend to find coolers to punch holes through..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had that happen with a older sled that was my concern with studding my track.

Would 96 up the middle be enough?

Better to stay in the middle?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Atrader1 said:
I have had that happen with a older sled that was my concern with studding my track.

Yes, and yes.. The ones out by themselves are the first ones to bend/break/tear-out/cause damage.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Atrader1 said:

Yes, and yes.. The ones out by themselves are the first ones to bend/break/tear-out/cause damage.
agreed. i have four in each row i am in the middle of taking all the outter ones out to save the new track.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
1.0 if you run only groomed trails and ice.

.875 if you run trails.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I picked up 96 Gold Diggers .875 with aluminum backers

Now I need to figure out the pattern. Planning on a V pattern but anyone know how many to a V so it works out even on a 121 inch track at 2 per row?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went out last night and WOW what a difference they make in acceleration and cornering.

Should have added them years ago.

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts