Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the hifax on my 1997 Indy Ultra SP. Everything is/was fine last year. I just wanted to know if marking the adjustment bolts and counting the "turns" when loosening/tightening the track is enough? If not, where does one hang the 10 lb. weight to measure track tension[?][/font=Comic Sans MS]

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Use a scale, put it in the middle of the track, and are you sure it's 10 lb, mine is 20 lb.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
loose as you can go without ratcheting. If you hear ratcheting, you will recognise it right away... Prolly will hang a half inch or so with no weight on it...

-Dean

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes it will be different because the new hyfax are thicker making the track tighter.

1-1.3cm {3/8" to 1/2"} on a xtra 10 with a 10lb hanging 40.6cm {16"}from the center of rear idler wheels . If your running studs put it on the tighter side so the studs does not eat up the front heat exchanger.

Extra 12 121" 1.3cm {1/2"} free hanging
133" 2.54cm- 2.86cm {1"- 1 1/8"} free hanging

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If your track is studded...go with recommended track tension, if it is not studded go with the looser is better attitude. But the most important thing is to make sure the hyfax is centered in the track windows. This is called track alignment. The track always runs to the loose side...so if it runs to the right side...tighten the right side. and vice versa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts