Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something is making a thumping sound with my track (just installed a 1.25" ripsaw) when I am slowing down on my 92 Indy 650. It really seems to start thumping when I get to about 35 and will continue untill I stop. It doesnt matter if I am coasting or hitting the brake, but will go away as soon as I hit the throttle. I think it has something to do with not getting enough snow because if I run through deep snow it will go away for a bit but then come back if I run on a hard packed trail. I can best describe this thumping sound by comparing it to a flat spot in a car tire. It jerks the whole sled and as I slow down the time between thumps gets longer. Anyone ever have this problem before? Thanks Oh and I double checked my Track alignment and it seems perfect.

· Registered
15,705 Posts
Is the track too loose???

· Registered
288 Posts
it almost sounds like a shot bogie wheel. my jag does that since one of the wheels is shot and its really annoying. I would jack your sled up and make sure all the bogies are in working condition. and if they are then make sure your track tension is right. The tension is supposed to be like 20lbs per sq. foot or something like that. Id have to ask my cousin if im right on that but check your bogies and your track tension

· Registered
455 Posts
To tension it hang a roughly 10 lb. weight from the center of the track with the back of the sled off the ground. Tighten it until its only got a roughly 1 inch gap between the hyfax and the track. That, or maybe your drive cogs are worn out.

· Registered
817 Posts
Did you remove the tunnel protectors? On a lot of older sleds you need to either remove the protectors or notch the track to fit a 1.25" lug.

· Registered
23 Posts
Lugs hitting the underside of the sled? The track will "balloon" the faster the track spins. Under acceleration, the top side of the track that's under the tunnel gets tight because of the drive sprockets pulling and the slack side is under the track frame. Same as a chain/sprocket works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.