Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was riding Friday and things felt a little tight, like it was restrained a bit. So my temp light comes on a little ways up the trail. I shut it down, wondering what the heck is going on. I look underneath to see the hyfaxes are being peeled off! I fire it up when it cools, and have to hit it pretty hard to get the track to even move. So we tow it up to the top of the hill. By the way my brothers sled has a tough time towing it, its an 800 to. Anyway we get up top and loosen the rear wheel kit, and the tension bolts. And move it as far as I can, which is only maybe a half inch. Did not have a problem the rest of the day, it didn't heat up. When I lifted the rear the track spun freely. Its amazing what a half inch more of slack did!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Sounds like you just had a lack of lubrication (loose snow) and the track heated the hyfax, and they stuck to the track. Did you loosen the rear axle by 1/2-inch, or add 1/2 inch to the sag? Huge difference. Usually a couple turns of the tensioner bolts makes a big difference.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Lol. Sounds like you didn't set the track tension. Either that or you were riding on really crappy snow!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I moved the rear forward about a half inch. With the big wheel kit, it really doesn't have much adjustment. I was playing in the powder for the first hour or so. Then we decided to ride back to the warming hut. After a few miles on trail I knew it was getting hot. Anyway, lesson learned! I will always check the track slack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts