Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new track on my 96 XLT Sp and I think its hitting my tunnel protectors its a 1" camoplast Durasport not clipped. If that is the case can I take out the protectors without dropping the track.

What about adjusting the limiter straps?

·
Registered
251 Posts
It depends on how they are fastened. If they are riveted in from the top then you can remove the seat and drill out the rivets. Then you should be able to pull the protectors out from above the track if they are flexible. If they are bolted though, you will have to be contortionist like and get your arm and a wrench up above the track as well as on top of the tunnel. I have never tried to get to any with a track on.

I'm not sure why your protectors would be hitting the track unless they do not line up properly with the cuts in the track. I assume you are referring to normal suspension operating range. The tunnel protectors are supposed to hit the track when the suspension is compressed all the way, so the studs don't hit.

Hope this helps. If you want any more clarification, let me know.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Move the rear suspension mount to the bottom hole, I bet that fixes your issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What lower hole?

[galleryattach=12996]

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
the rear mounting holes usally there is a deep snow setting or 2 sets of holes in the back

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
[galleryattach=4935]

Look where the rear mount for the suspension is in this picture. There is a plate there with another hole to lower the suspension in the tunnel by about 2". This will fix your issue.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
What makes you think the track is hitting the tunnel protecters?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
What kind of shape are your torsion springs in? Original? What's your rear suspension setup? Stiff/soft? When you sit on the sled with your gear on the rear should settle an inch or inch and a half. What are you at?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by pinkie
[br]Because I felt it
I guess I was kind of hoping for more of a description of what you felt. My reasoning for asking this is the perhaps your track is too loose and it is slipping on the drivers. Many have mistaken that for the track hitting the tunnel.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Have the same sled, and tried to remove the protectors with the track still on. Dont do it, take it back down, as it pinches in there, and remove your seat and gas tank, and start drilling the heads off. the real pain ones are way up front. They forgot to mention that to me at the "stealers" I bought them from. There advise was to just notch the track. THE $400.00 TRACK, I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reminds of a joke I once heard, about teaching a pig to sing, annoys the pig and wastes your time

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you stick your fingers in the between the clips there is some gap toward the front and by the rear mount it was rubbing ever so slightly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts