Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to snowmobiling. 1994 ski-doo safari L 377

I recently got stuck and chewed up the side of my track getting out. The wear/damage on the track shows mostly frayed nylon threads. There are no cuts into the track but a few small gouges and scraping away of the rubber side wall/edge. There is two 1/4 inch spots where you can see the white hard cord inside the tack but it is intact with no cuts.

I am wondering if this is a problem or is the track still safe to use. cant really afford new track.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for link.

The small amount of damage seems to little to repair. Has anyone seen this type of wear I described cause a track to fail?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I've heard guys talk about melting the edges to stop in from riping, AND/OR taking a drill and making a whole so that the rip is rounded and wont continue... Is it a rip or just a little gouge(sp?). It should be fine...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Nothing to worry about,as long as there's no tears you will be fine.the edge of the track is allways the first place to show signs of wear.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah, that sounds real minor. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on it, you'll know it's getting to the point where it's about ready to let go... but tracks are amazingly tough. If it starts splitting (I really doubt it will from what you've described) then I'd get serious about replacing it.
The only time I've had a track fail is when they're old & weather checked badly. Mine had gouges worse than what you're describing & I put another 5,000 hard miles on it before it got to the point where I didn't trust it anymore. It still was holding up fine, but it was getting really chewed all to hell by that time - and I found a brand new Polaris 1.75" paddle on Ebay for $175.00.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Agreeing all over here.

As long as the edge damage isnt too close to the wheels you should be fine.

To check, put it up on a stand and turn the track by hand if you can freely. If not be careful and throttle spin the track and make sure it isn't too close to the rear wheels. if the track is obviously bending down at outside of the rear wheels you may have a problem.

If you do have too much of the track worn off in just 1 spot, it should feel like a bump as the track turns. It sounds like you should be OK though.

GL

DNO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the responses. The info really helped. I guess I just got paranoid since the track used to be mint.

Once again thanks

Oh by the way like I said I am new to having sleds. I think I got a good deal when I bought them. I paid 1500 for 2 safari 377's one is a 94 L and the other is a 93 dl with electric start. I also got the tratiler tilt with power madd spray guard on front. 2300 and 2500 miles respectively

Good deal??? Opinions?????

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good Deal jagr??

How large WAS the gun you held up to the guys head when you got them, or did your dog have a lock on his schmengie, or are you doin' the horizontal bop with his daughter, or is you last name Hoffa or Sinatra. You get the idea.

If you find a similar deal in the near future, drop me a note will ya..

(o;

DNO.

·
Registered
82 Posts
He's just kidding, jagr ... he has enough sleds already ... the next time you go shopping with a pistol ... send that deal over my way!!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Two for the price of one.watcha dooing monday,thinking on a new sled,sounds like you could cut a pretty good deal,ha

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are You saying you got the two sleds and the trailer,all for $1500?
That's a steal! Even $1500 apiece for the sleds would be a good deal. You should have no getting your money back down the road for those.
good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
nice sled man
like mine cept I got an '87
Originally posted by jagr1234
[br]I am new to snowmobiling. 1994 ski-doo safari L 377

I recently got stuck and chewed up the side of my track getting out. The wear/damage on the track shows mostly frayed nylon threads. There are no cuts into the track but a few small gouges and scraping away of the rubber side wall/edge. There is two 1/4 inch spots where you can see the white hard cord inside the tack but it is intact with no cuts.

I am wondering if this is a problem or is the track still safe to use. cant really afford new track.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Mine was pretty bad and then, well...

Can anyone fix this?

lol.. [:D]

·
Registered
331 Posts
er uhm Erick, I think uhm that you first need to disconnect the ramafram from the doohickey, and then you want to watch out for the thing-uhm-a-bob that it doesn't snap back and 'git ya' when you got all that done, you then need to change the red-tail-light fluid and replace the muffler bearings...that should about do it.....anyone else, just jump in here and help out.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
OH PLEASE!!!

Erick ... don't let these guys kid you ... there are no such things as muffler bearings anymore .... they were replaced with heat resistnat UMHW Polysthylene bushings a few years ago because of the coefficient of friction of UMHW Polysthylene (UMHWE = .12) versus the run-of-the-mill muffler bearings that they replaced.

Ask your local dealer for these and they will tell you more about them.

Thanks

PS ... come on guys .... quit giving this guy a hard time!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts