Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i started my polaris today it started easy and i reved the engine a little and the track wont spin. this is on a 1989 polaris indy 400

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
How high did you rev it to? Rev it past 6500 and see what happens ,clutch parts could just be a little sticky from sitting.

·
Registered
632 Posts
^^^what i was thinking. most sleds have clutch engagement around 38-4200 stock im thinkin, make sure to rev it up past that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i put a new belt on it and checked the brakes but it still doesn't spin. the track spins sometimes but after a few seconds it stops and just revs high. is there any way to clean the primary clutch and see if thats the problem?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
polarisrider98 said:
i put a new belt on it and checked the brakes but it still doesn't spin. the track spins sometimes but after a few seconds it stops and just revs high. is there any way to clean the primary clutch and see if thats the problem?
now your thinking[thumb]

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Take the belt off, raise the rear end and turn the secondary clutch. That will tell you if there is an object/hangup in the drivetrain. If that turns smooth and the track rotates, then you have a clutch problem.
D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the secondary turns easily. how can i clean the primary clutch and see if that is the problem? right as i put the belt on and tried it again my pull rope broke so i have to wait until tomorrow and fix it before i can try anything else.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If your secondary turns good, than put your belt back on, leave the hood open and the track ON THE GROUND, then rev it up where it normally engages, watch the primary, if it starts to close on the belt, and than right away just opens up all the way, than you need to rebuild your primary or its shot.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
steepndeeper said:
Check your chain tension
Good one to check, should turn the tightener all the way in by hand until tight then back it off a 1/4 of a turn and lock it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts