Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if good or bad was always told that you should measure the udjusting bolts equal with tape measure or micrometer witch i did but then checked track alignment was off so i got my tension set ok and then set alignment rechecked adjust bolts were 3/8" different if track alignment is good and tension good is it ok if bolt measure different or is there a problem elsewhere checked everything i can think of all looks ok but not sure thanks

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I always thought they needed to be equal but maybe i missed something.

·
Registered
244 Posts
they should be the same length in... always have been on all my sleds?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You could also check for track slack. This is were you can take a tape measure and measure the distance between the bottom of the hyfax and the top of the track, approximately 8in in front of the tentioner bolt.... I know on the Polaris X-12 and the M-10 it's a 1/2in with just the weight of the track.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ArcticCatZR800 said:
thats what i thought so should i go off track alignment or equal bolt lenght

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
arcticcateltigre said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
thats what i thought so should i go off [highlight=yellow]track alignment[/highlight=yellow] or equal bolt lenght
When in doubt^^^^

·
Registered
916 Posts
ultrawillie said:
arcticcateltigre said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
thats what i thought so should i go off [highlight=yellow]track alignment[/highlight=yellow] or equal bolt lenght
When in doubt^^^^
Don't even worry about bolt length, that's a waist of time. Just put your finger in a track window and feel the gap between the boggy wheel and a track knob. Just make sure the gaps are the same on both sides and your done.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ultrawillie said:
arcticcateltigre said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
When in doubt^^^^
i have inch and a half with ten pound weight and track is aligned perfectly right now took forever i was chasing 1/16" for a while but got it good now. without weight about 3/4" every body tells me looser is better so hope i am all good to go riding almost have enough snow cant wait

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
[/quote]i have inch and a half with ten pound weight and track is aligned perfectly right now took forever i was chasing 1/16" for a while but got it good now. without weight about 3/4" every body tells me looser is better so hope i am all good to go riding almost have enough snow cant wait

[/quote]

Sounds like you're all set. Happy Trails to you.[thumb]

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have always jacked the back of the sled up so the track is off the ground, adjusted the tension first for the amount of sag I wanted, then started up the sled and let the track slowly rotate and adjusted the tension bolts until it tracked straight watching the slides through the track windows from the rear.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
align the track so it is in the center of each hifax, look through the window of the track. run the track as loose as you can with out it racheting.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Polaris's spec is wayyyy too tight. Eats up hp and efficiency of the drive train. It is best to adjust this after the sled has been run for a while so that the track is at normal operating temps. (more flexible) Mine run approximately 1 1/2" of sag at rest with no weight.

·
Registered
841 Posts
In all the years I've ridden, I have never measured or used weights to determine track tension. have always had it a couple turns tighter than the point of racheting. And don't worry about the stud length, as long as the track is centered on the slides that is the important part.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Unless the hifax are brand spankin' new, I never measure between track and hifax because they wear funny. Bolt length is B.S., because the axle blocks wear where the bolt touches it. I measure between the axle and the boggie wheel center to center, then adjust until it stops ratcheting.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ya do not adjust to polaris SPecs, i did and I could feel it just taking away my hp and Go as I rode. It felt like something was constantly slowing me down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts