Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a '98 MXZ 583 with the SC10 sport suspension. I have had terrible traction problems out of the hole. The track just spins like crazy, while everyone else I am lined up against gets 100-200 ft lead on me. It takes me the length of a lake to catch my friend on his '95 Formula 500, but when I do I am flying by him.

Anyways, I have sucked the front of the rear suspension down, studded the track (96), and played with softening & stiffing the rear suspension for better weight transfer.

Maybe I missed the right combination while I was tinkering, but can anyone help me out with a set-up that will really dig when launching.

·
Registered
330 Posts
96 studs should be ok. If you JUST studded your track, I would start messing with the clutching a little. Now that you should beable to hook up I'd try that. Search the forum on clutching and you'll find a load of tips/tricks on what to do, if you have any more questions about that, I'd contact EPI Performance http://www.erlandsonperformance.com they'll talk you through what you should do.

·
Registered
115 Posts
what do you mean by "sucked down"?

The front limiter strap can be lengthened to lower overall ski pressure and give more weight to the track. Did you do this, or go the other way?

cheers
Pneuman

·
Registered
777 Posts
Problem,no weight transfer,loosing the front limiter strap,increase front susp spring tension slightly.been a while,i think you have a acm on the rear to control transfer,loosen it up,adjust it till you have the skis just off the ground on take off,
there are some doo guys here,that will help you out .
also just reread your post,the formula 500 doesn,t have acm,and it has a lot of weight transfer.[almost to much]thats probably why he pulls away on you

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
You should have at least 144 studs for that horsepower. Look at any of the stud makers studding guide and it will say that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with pneuman and xc special loosen the front limiter strap might have to tinker with it for a couple of runs to get what your looking for but you should really notice the differance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A couple of other things are needed here:

1. How big are the lugs on your track, .875", 1.0", 1.25"? My gut says .875" on that '98 Doo, but I could be wrong.

2. What's the length of you studs? 96 1-inchers or what?

3. Have you made any clutch mods, namely, what's your engagment RPM? If you've got that thing engaging at 6-grand on a .875" track I would expect nothing short of digging a hole.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

My studs are 3 seasons old and do need replacing. I do not know my lug height off hand. Woody's website lists my sled as having a .912" lug. I'll have to check that one myself to be sure. I plan to replace my studs and go with 120 or 144 this time.

I actually tightened the limiter strap to suck the front of the sled down. It seemed too loose to me. Tighter would give me more top end, and I thought more track on the ground. I can see how loosening it might help with weight transfer.

I have no idea what my enagement RPM is, but I know what you are saying.

I am trying to do the work myself this season, in the past I have dropped my sled off at a friends house, his father would do all the tuning, and then I would come pick it up. I know some, but not all, and I am still learning. Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts