Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went bird hunting yesterday. The reason I tell you this is I must have crossed 100 snowmobile trail crossings on paved roads. I also drove down dirt roads that are snowmobile trails in the winter. The interesting thing was, that almost everywhere a property owner allowed a snowmobile trail on their land, their property was unposted. Meaning they allowed hunting. These people are the backbone of our sport. Along with the clubs that maintain the trails and contact with the landowners. I just wanted to say thanks. So if you snowmobile in Maine or anywhere else this year, respect the landowners and their signage. Stop littering, cigarette butts too, and enjoy the "freedom" provided by others.

PS while we were hunting we treed a momma bear and 3 cubs, quite by accident. Here's a pic.

/polarisman/../images/users/offshore24/Bears 1.jpg

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Soon there will beone of those on my wall! Where are you in Maine, i went bear hunting in Patten in august.

And yes thanks for them letting us ride!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live north of Portland. I was hunting in the Fryeburg area. I've done a lot of bird hunting up in the Patten area too. I've had only one bear in my sights during rifle season and I didn't shoot it for 2 reasons: 1. the landowner told me he had bears on his land and asked me not to shoot one. 2. I think my wife and dughters would kick my hairy butt out of the house if I tried to put one in the freezer.[B)] Venison is bad enough. I'd like to bag a moose.[;)]

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Yeah i saw plenty of moose when i was up there, matter a fact one almost ran down my brother lol, i heard about the moose lottery system when i was up and my guide said it was a crappy system and that the points you earn every year your not drawn arent worth anything!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Great point! [:D][:D] If it was not for those people we would all be ditch banging [;)]

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey Offshore...I hear ya. It's extremely important to respect the landowner. Without them granting access, there would be hardly any places to ride.

I'm from Portland myself (lived in So. Maine my whole life). It's nice to see fellow Mainea's on this board. I've done some sledding in Fryeburg. It's all good!!![;)]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I went bird hunting last Monday hunting for grouse and saw one woodcock and heard 3 grouse. Also saw a forkhorn deer who was in no hurry to get away from us, just walking taking his time. I was on snowmobile trails too and looking for unmarked ones to ride to get away from the crowds. It's important to know what they look like with no snow. It was all State land by Cadillac MI where I was.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
You guys deer hunt? I like to turkey hunt but according to my bear hunting guide you dont have many wild turkeys in maine, is this true?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man you gotta get you a different guide! Maine has become over run with turkeys. They come from MA, CT, RI, NY, everyehre but heyuh![;)] Just kidding. All you people from away are welcome to come to Maine.

But no kidding about "wild turkey", we have become over run. You guys from southern new england can sympathize with respect to how bad the canadien geese have become with the mild winters? Well the turkey population in southern Maine is increadible now. Tuesday we saw at least a dozen flocks of birds just strutting around in back yards and fields. A lot of the birds were only a year old or so. Last year on the day before Thanksgiving I was taking my daughter to Gray for horseback riding and we saw a flock with over 50 birds. It took us a few minutes to count them all. It was incredible. I have them walking thru my front yard every other day or so. Drives my dogs nuts!. Your guide is from where?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Well hes from Patten and he said the population in the northern part of maine is low, hes from North Country Lodge, if youve ever heard of it.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have heard of it. There's an explosion of game in southern Maine. Mostly deer, bear, turkey, moose. Up toward patten it's bigger country so things seem spread out. There's not much hunting pressure in the Portland area so game like turkey and deer are building up toward a problem in numbers. Currently turkey hunting is limited to a drawing for licenses, and dawn to noon time restrictions. Seems the turkey hunters, who aren't required to wear orange cause the birds can see color, are prone to shooting at each other. They can actually call to each other, mistake each other for turkey's and shoot at each other. Personally I've never shot what I couldn't see. But there are unfortunately "simpler" minded folk out there.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I agree, those people go out to shoot while guys like us go out to hunt. Have you heard of the USHS of america trying to end bear hunting then eventually all hunting in the country. I hope they lose the battle, but if not, im going up to Patten next year to get myslef the big bear, cant wait. Down here you can fall and spring turkey hunt and ive been lucky enough to bag myself 2 turkeys in the last 3 years, both about 20 lbs and with 10 inch beards. We are allowed 2 Toms or Jakes in the spring and 2 of either sex in the fall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts