Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Trail Maintenance?

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Burnin2StrokeOil 
#1 ·
Do any of you groom and maintain trails on your own or do you leave it to others?
I groom and trim a 2-3 mile connector trail at the house and we always groom the trails at camp on the weekends while the others are still sleeping. We use home made drags and it's alot of fun.

SKI-DOO ROCKS!!

#3 ·
Very easy, costs from $0-$50.
2-2x8x8s cut to 45 degrees in front to deflect the trees.
Use 1 1/2'' angle iron or an old bed frame.
Cut 2 at 48" to bolt across the front and rear bottom( now drag is 48" wide).
Cut 4 more at approx. 2-1/2' and bolt at 45 degree angle, 2 on each side.
Make a snow dam on the top back to capture snow and drop in the holes.(use 2x4 upright).
Two eye bolts in the front.
Tie to the sled with 3/8ths nylon rope(it has stretch and will break if needed).
You can modify the length and width to suit your needs.
If it drags too much make shoes out of wood with angles in the front, remove if on harder packed snow.

SKI-DOO ROCKS!!

#5 ·
Cool Idea! We have a connector trail from my neighborhood that we have been working on all summer. The terrain is very bumpy - huge clumps from weed roots, etc. We have dug some of those out. Its also a wetland - so the mud gets soft. Everyone in the neighborhood has been spreading our grass clippings along the path to help firm it up. People riding their four wheelers have also smoothed out the trail. Last year, we built a little bride over a small creek using palates. These are long ones - 10-12 feet, and about 2-3 feet wide. We used 4 of them, 2 across, side by side. It's really coming along nicely. Since we use it only for access, we take it easy, and it doesn't get too ripped up.

I am also helping the club build two bridges today. One is needed for a re-route of the trail near my neighborhood. Damn progress! Building houses on the trails all over. There ought to be a law!

Great idea for the home groomer. You should send it in to one of the mags.

I want to ride every day, all day, as fast as I can.

#7 ·
I dont do any of my own grooming, but I went to the New England Snowmobile Show today, and saw a huge groomer like the ski-resorts have. I figured if I had one of those, I'd sure like to start grooming.

95 XLT Special
88 Saffari 377
89 Saffari Saga 377

#8 ·
I dont groom now, but today I went to the New England Snowmobile Show, and I saw a huge groomer like the ski resorts have. I figure if I had one of those, I would definitely be all over grooming!!! That thing was awesome!!

95 XLT Special
88 Saffari 377
89 Saffari Saga 377

#11 ·
everybody that owns a sled or atv should help maintain trails.I put most of my time in during the spring & fall keeping the trails clear.Cutting back brush & branches that creep in the trail and moving rocks, logs, & sticks is alot easier when there's no snow.We don't have much grooming going on around here yet, but there's a club that does some.

#12 ·
I maintain the trails in my area every fall with an ATV. Lots of trails here are on the edges of fields, so i drive around and move big rocks farmers left in the way, ( i've hit too many of them ) and clear branches and debris. Last year i drove the skid loader to move a 300 lb. rock on the edge of the field that the trail follows. Play it safe.

#13 ·
We use a drag behind a 500 clasic touring the longer track helps. Our trails are limited and not widely used like up north. We still like to have them nice for when we do ride them. Also it makes for great high speed passes on the lake

"Meaningless Ride"

#14 ·
the road i live on is blocked off during the winter snow season.... when the snow is fresh i break the trail... then i go back with a drag made out of 2x4's similar to the one someone discribed... maked it about 6 feet wide and nice n smooth.... !

Duct tape much like the force... it has a light side, a dark side.... and it holds the world together!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.