Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Ride mostly in Ontario and sometimes in the Michigan UP. Last season the Ontario Trail Permit prices were 170.00 full price, 140.00 early purchase price, and 100.00 for a 7-day permit. They are apparently going up again this year, to 200.00 full price and 160.00 early purchase.

We have a great network of trails in Ontario and there are a lot of people who donate their time to groom and maintain them. On the other side of the coin I think that the cost of the permits are so high that it is beginning to hurt the sport.

We have Trail Wardens, STOP Officers, and Police who enforce the trail permits. The STOP Officers and Police can lay charges. The Trail Wardens do not have the authority to charge.

Just wondering what everyone else is paying in other parts of Canada and the US?

If you were planning a trip to Ontario would the cost of the permit be a factor to you?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
if goes up most that is just rediculus... for the amount of time that I get to ride it is just crazy... gas, insurance, trail permit, and registration... For 4 or 5 weekends of riding! Its just to much dough...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah, permit prices keep going up, but that's because of the skyrocketing insurance rates. Take a look at your new rates when your car insurance comes up for renewal!

I sit every summer wondering if I'm going to buy permits and stay with the sport (I have to buy 3 permits), but when the cold weather comes around I'm right back in there like a dirty shirt![:D]

It's all part of the cost of being able to enjoy this great sport of ours.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No trial permit required up on Tug Hill, NY. The clubs in the area keep the trails in excellent shape. I highly recommend the area for it's amount of snow, accomodations and atmosphere. This could be bias based on having a cabin in the world famous "Osceola, NY". Never seen so much snow in my life.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It costs like $10 for a two year registration here and there are no trail fees but then there aren't many trails either. Most of the riding we do here is backcountry and mountain riding. The trails we do have are groomed by the local clubs and I would highly recommend joining one near you to help maintain the trails.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I live in WPG mb and we go out to Kenora. which last year was great because they had no permits. local politics. but the cost difference is insane. I ride in manitoba and ontario so that means 2 passes for each sled. I guess if they bring them back this year I'll bite the bullett. but why can't they make a Canada wide permit or better yet a Can/Us permit. I don't object to paying for the trails. but paying everywhere i go SUCKS!!! JMO

Rich

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
here in nova scotia, canada its $67 early bird and $89 reg.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by Richie Rich
[br]I live in WPG mb and we go out to Kenora. which last year was great because they had no permits. local politics.
Did it have anything to do with the lawsuit against the local club in Kenora? I heard the trails from Falcon Lake to Kenora was closed last year due to a lawsuit over a bridge or something...

·
Registered
366 Posts
something like that. We were able to use the trails but no grooming made them rough. talk to the opp they said you don't need passes no one is inforcing them.

Rich

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Richie Rich
[br]I live in WPG mb and we go out to Kenora.
Rich,

I lived in Kenora for just about 5 years. I have fond memories of running my Vmax4 on Lake of the Woods. What a great lake to ride on, it seemed like you could run 100mph until you ran out of gas!

Ken

·
Registered
227 Posts
I pay $20/permit in MI 2 sleds $40. Registration $35/sled.

If I was planning a trip to Ontario the permist price does suck, but I would pay it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
this last year at new years you could get some serious speed. very little snow. stopping is a little tricky. but man is it fun. Can't wait for snow! I am on Granite lake just West of kenora. We drain into lake of the woods so we are out there alot.

Rich

·
Registered
40 Posts
I read somewhere that the OFSC is having meetings with the people in the Kenora area to see if the local problems can be solved and get thier trails back into the system.

Nobody likes the cost of anything to increase( especially in our hobbies) , but as jacqui583 said most of the increase is due to insurance premiums increasing dramatically and the need for more money to get to the Clubs so that they can keep up with the increasing demands of our riders. The cost of insurance last year almost broke the OFSC and it had to trim a lot of programs in order to pay for the liability insurance premium . You have the careless riders that file law suits to blame for some of the increasing costs.

I don't like the thought of paying an extra $40 ($20 x 2 sleds) but I use my sleds as much as I have time( and money) for and enjoy every mile spent on the trails. Being in the position I am in and seeing all the facts and figures from the OFSC and the Clubs and how under funded the whole system is , I am glad we have so many dedicated volunteers and am glad to pay my share to ride the best trails in the world.

·
Registered
273 Posts
25$ here to renew registration(Otsego County, NY). There really isn't permits anywhere here unless you get up in the Adirondacks which a lot of that is government owned.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I just sent my MINNESOTA registration in today. $48.50 for a three year sticker. Supposedly most of that money goes back to the local clubs for trail maintenance, however, the state does maintain some trails. As others have noted, a large burden is placed on the clubs to maintian the trails, money is typically raised through dues, raffles, fishing contests, and such...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by Canuck
[br] The Trail Wardens do not have the authority to charge.
Just to clarify before someone gets in a whole lot of trouble.

Trail wardens DO HAVE THE AUTHORITY to charge anyone with trespassing.(only)

If they find any other infraction, they always have the ability to dial 911 and have police officers waiting for you at the next road crossing or down the trail where police are patrolling. This would only be exercised for a serious life threatening infraction such as obviously driving while impaired. Don't forget, us Trail Wardens and S.T.O.P. Officers are all just volunteers paying our own way to keep the trails safe for everyone's enjoyment. Also to ensure that everyone riding on the trails pays their fair share to our user pay system. This is all part of keeping our insurance liability down to ensure the largest and greatest fully connected trail system in the world is there for all of us to enjoy well into the future.

Okay. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

Jeff

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by trailblazer
[br]
Just to clarify before someone gets in a whole lot of trouble.

Trail wardens DO HAVE THE AUTHORITY to charge anyone with trespassing.(only)

If they find any other infraction, they always have the ability to dial 911 and have police officers waiting for you at the next road crossing or down the trail where police are patrolling. This would only be exercised for a serious life threatening infraction such as obviously driving while impaired.
You stated that you just wanted to clarify before someone gets in a whole lot of trouble. What did I say that will get someone in trouble?

Trail Warden's to the best of my knowledge are not sworn Provincial Offences Officers and therefore do not have the authority to charge. But they can act as a agent of the property owner under the Trespass to Property Act. If a snowmobiler is on the trail without a permit he/she is required to stop, identify him/herself, and leave the trail if requested to do so. If charges were to be laid the police would have to be contacted and the Trail Warden would be a witness and the police would lay the charge....at least that is my understanding. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As far as a Trail Warden (or anyone else) calling 911 goes.... If there is cell phone service, if there is a police officer in the area, if the police officer is able to make it to the next trail crossing, if the rider doesn't turn off somewhere else, and if the rider stops for the officer (who will likely be in a patrol car).... I'm not knocking the attempt to do the right thing but realistically your chances of catching the offender are slim at best.

I appreciate the time that volunteers spend maintaining the trail system but I feel that policing the trail system is not a job for volunteers' who are not trained to do it properly (safely). I have had several negative experiences with Trail Wardens that I attribute to not being properly trained and to being a little overzealous with authority. In one instance my son was rear ended on the trail when the Wardens' set up a check point on a curve and stopped a group of sleds. I was second last in the line of sleds and my son was behind me. My son got rear ended by the next sled coming up behind us around the corner.

As far as the trail permits go I feel they are too expensive and I don't agree with many of the things the OFSC does. No - I don't have the answers to the problems that the OFSC faces. Yes - I do purchase trail permits for the sleds that I trail ride and I will continue to purchase them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts