Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone like me, in the way that the've never ridden on a groomed designated snowmobile trail in their entire lives? And don't really see the appeal of just.. going and going and going on a packed groomed trail?
Maybe its just me...
There is one trail system around here... but it just seems so... for a lack of a better term, Boring.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I like a nice groomed trail in the ditches every once in a while. Kinda cool to speed over the crossings and you get that floating sensation. Just the feel of going fast is fun.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, do some of you not have that much public land to ride on? I never considered that...

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Well if i had a sled good enough to ride the open untouched stuff i probobly would but i wouldnt try it now.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Plenty of land to ride on, just like a nice groomed trail every once in a while.

·
Registered
366 Posts
groomed trails are fun for a while (only when groomed!). I like off trail, ditches, feilds, lakes and such. JMO

Rich

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by 88400
[br]Well if i had a sled good enough to ride the open untouched stuff i probobly would but i wouldnt try it now.
hah, where I live it really doesnt snow so much that you need a mountain sled, or anything like that. Its just that 85 percent of the land up here is public. But some of that is in the BWCA which doesnt allow motors.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Give me the groomed trails or the 12,000 acre lake I ride on. Got no use for digging out my sled when I could be riding it.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
nope, not alot of public land here in MN. So you got trails, or ditches, or nothin really. Well actually out of the 7 county metro area if you go on someone's land and it's not posted, it's NOT tresspassing, but it is not polite to go tearing accross someone's farm field, whether it's posted or not. As long as you don't go within 150 feet of any dwelling your not breaking the law. But yes, most of MN riding is trailriding and ditch banging.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
In MI you have to stay on the trails or the lakes unless you have a lot of private land to ride on. There are a lot of trails in the woods, but only some of them are turned into snowmobile trails for winter. You're supposed to stay on the marked trails but it is really fun to go where no one has gone before. It's a good idea to have walked or hunted that trail when there's no snow on it as hitting a stump or a log at speed is not much fun.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by ripperd2
[br]nope, not alot of public land here in MN. So you got trails, or ditches, or nothin really. Well actually out of the 7 county metro area if you go on someone's land and it's not posted, it's NOT tresspassing, but it is not polite to go tearing accross someone's farm field, whether it's posted or not. As long as you don't go within 150 feet of any dwelling your not breaking the law. But yes, most of MN riding is trailriding and ditch banging.
Most of southern minnesota riding.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I like trails for that "World Rally Car" feeling, but on a sled.
Just like Erick said, that "floating" feeling coming over a rise or an approach, (on the far right of course) is awesome.

Around here where I live, it's very flat farmland with no fences for 100's of miles,
so cross-country of trail riding is by far the best.

But up north in the bush, you ride mostly logging trails, and power-pole cut lines, so it almost has to be groomed.

Here's a pic from the Pasquia Hills in Northern Saskatchewan.
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/500xc_trail.jpg

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
We have trails around here can't call them groomed. Ok they do groom a small amount 100 miles or so but the group I ride with is in the eternal search for bottomless snow. And a couple of them are real good at finding it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
In the past I don't know how long it has been since MN as seen enough snow to even consider deep powder riding. Most of our riding in the SE part of MN is done on groomed trails or ditches. My father and I belong to snowmobile club in which we put up a section of 20 miles or so of trail. Each year we have to ask the same farmers if we can cross their land. It seems like every year we have to reroute the trail because a farmer said that snowmobilers were going off the trail and disrupting their land. It's usually one or two persons that ruin it for the rest of us. So down here we have public ditchs or these state trails across private land. Someday...hopefully I will purchase a mountainseld and put it to use, or at least what it is made for.

Hey everyone in MN....It's October...Think SNOW!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by Gottagiver
[br] My father and I belong to snowmobile club in which we put up a section of 20 miles or so of trail.
...Think SNOW!
"Think Snow"...Amen brother.

20 miles...holy crap...you guys have to get up here to Canada.

Here is a couple links to maps to my fav riding areas (the 2 maps are of the same larger area, just next to eachother)

http://www.sasksnowmobiling.sk.ca/maps/Lintlaw_214_PDF.pdf

http://www.sasksnowmobiling.sk.ca/maps/Kelvinton_211_PDF.pdf

Here is a pic of one of the warm-up shelters on the Kelvington Trailblazers trails last year.

/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/shack1.jpg

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Gottagiver
[br]In the past I don't know how long it has been since MN as seen enough snow to even consider deep powder riding. Most of our riding in the SE part of MN is done on groomed trails or ditches. My father and I belong to snowmobile club in which we put up a section of 20 miles or so of trail. Each year we have to ask the same farmers if we can cross their land. It seems like every year we have to reroute the trail because a farmer said that snowmobilers were going off the trail and disrupting their land. It's usually one or two persons that ruin it for the rest of us. So down here we have public ditchs or these state trails across private land. Someday...hopefully I will purchase a mountainseld and put it to use, or at least what it is made for.

Hey everyone in MN....It's October...Think SNOW!
its been about 4 years since we've had deep snow up here, but there has been enough to snowmobile pretty much everywhere every year... 95 96 and 97 had amazing amounts of snow. waist deep by christmas.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
last year here in Ct we had a 1 foot pack in our woods by christmas with snow coming all the time, at one point we had snow up to my waist and im 6' tall. our snowblower even broke we had som much snow, i remember in 1996 we had " the blizzard" that dropped about 3 feet at once, we didnt have a sled then, too bad![:(!]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, winter in New England was AWESOME last year! I also live in CT and I didn't see the grass from the day before Thanksgiving until sometime in April. The only problem was I didn't have a sled...so I bought one this year...this means it won't snow at all with my luck! Well I am a skier also so last winter was still enjoyable. We have a few nights in the 30's wih frost ahead the next few days...I can't wait!!

Ray

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Yup, last year was a blast till my sled gave up, we still had the 340 but no as fast as my 400, i cant wait for the next few days, its a welcome after this summer, it seems after you start sledding it gets longer and longer every year.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts