Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does any body know what type of trailer hitch to use. It is a mid-size suv with a V-6. Is it capable of hauling a fairly heavy trailer with two snowmachines. How much would a hitch for one be(nothin really fancy but does the job). Should I install it myself or have it proffesionally done. How hard of a job is it to do it yourself? Also how hard is it to wire for lights? Any body have one and has experinced what I am.
Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
837 Posts
i ahve a 97 pathfinder, and it has a factory hitch installed, it looks like an easy job on that rig and i have done other hitches and it not hard to do, for wiring if you can find a plug in one get it it makes it very easy to get lights, and for towing capibility, andthing over jetskies and snomobiles, it sucks, mine is shit. if i had a boat i don't think it could go over 75. anbd the gas milage sucks you only need a class 3 hitch, but do get a 2in reciever so you can add attachments

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
we have a 2000 pathfinder. I think to get it with the truck and installed by nissan, was around a grand. Not possitive on that tho.

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Put a hitch on a buddies Blazer, bought the hitch for $125. Just a few bolts and your good, as far a wiring. Look under the vechicle in the rear, there should be wiring already there. Look for a plug, then purchase (some come with hitch) a connector, either 4 or 7(?) prong. Just connect to your truck underneath and run it the back bumper somewhere, and you should be golden. Could be different on Nissans but just go to Napa or something and confirm with someone there, hell I think they even sell the damn things..... They could put you in the right direction!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hitches are relatively easy to put on, sometimes getting the backing plates and nuts into the framing can be a pain in the butt on some vehicles. You should be able to get recevier hitch for around $100.00-$125.00. Then you have to buy the receiver separate, since people use different drops.

Like was said before, alot of newer vehicles have factory connectors underneath that can just be tapped into. Otherwise, you have to wire it yourself, this is not hard either.

Yellow = Left
Green = Right
Brown = Tail

If you do have to wire it, do not use cheap connectors, since they will more than likely be exposed to the elements, I always solder mine when connecting them.

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eyes2.gif

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a crome moly hitch I mad for my 91 Ford taurus 3.0 and it will tow what ever I want. I have a feeling the back half will come off before the hitch breaks. I use a 1 7/8 ball so I can't see you useing less than a 2inch but have it a least a class 3 or maybe more so if you ever need the strengh beef it up yourself.

Justin Jarmus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts