Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My snowmobile trailer lights are acting up. They work fine until I step on the brake pedal and then they all go out, and when I get off the brakes they all come back on. Bad ground? I appreciate any help thanks.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
That happened on ours. There was too much rust build up on the joint? where the trailer tips. We pulled the bolt off where the ground is and bolted another wire into it as well as the other one and ran it over to the rest of the frame of the trailer. They all worked again and a couple weeks after using the trailer we pulled the wire off and they worked again. Wore off all the rust. It still happens from time to time if it's been sitting for a bit but we would just tilt it up and down a couple times and it would be fine. Could try that unless it's obvious that your ground wire is broken, or you may just need to clean where it is grounded now.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Bad ground......My Triton trailer was doing the exact same thing,dull lights and when you stepped on the brake the lights would all go out. I replaced my 4 pin flat prong for a 7 pin round prong and the trouble went away.Those 4 pin flat connectors suck!

The newer Tritons have no frame ground and ground thru the coonector to the truck ground.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, thanks. Mine is a snowland'r 2 place tilt. I will def look for rust and add a jumper ground wire. And yes it is a 4 flat, maybe swap for a 7 round also

·
Registered
277 Posts
Gotta check all those grounding points!! Clean up the connections and repair any "iffy" ones. If all checks out with your vehicle, it's usally a ground to cause trouble. Every bulb needs a good ground contact, so be thorough.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If yours gets the ground through the ball on the hitch, try cleaning that real good to get thew rust off, and also try sont contact spray on your 4pin flat.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
pack the trailer connector with dilectric grease,,along with the bulb sockets,,this will help keep moisture out of them as well,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts