Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday, 01/05/02

AP-DETROIT LAKES - About 10 large trailers parked for a major snowmobile race fell into Big Detroit Lake early Saturday after the warm weather weakened the ice.

There were no injuries, but some of the trailers and the equipment inside were completely submerged in the northwestern Minnesota lake.

"It's a terrible situation, especially for the racers," Detroit Lakes Fire Chief Jeff Swanson said. "Nobody's been injured, and that's the positive thing, but we've got a lot of dollars in the water."

Wally Scheer, director of the World Snowmobile Association Pro Ice race, said he got a call about 5 a.m. from a driver who was in one of the trailers and felt it sink. He said race crews scrambled and got all of the snowmobiles and other vehicles to dry land in time, but much of their equipment ended up in the water.

Divers and salvage crews were called in to haul the trailers out of the lake and recover the equipment.

Swanson said the ice was thick enough farther out on the lake, but mild temperatures apparently softened the ice near the shore.

The high Friday was 30, while the low early Saturday was 25, according to the National Weather Service.

Scheer said Saturday's race probably would take place, but a late start was possible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow! that would suck! well its a good think that nowone was hurt or injured, or that no sleds fell through. that must have been scary for that person that was inside when a trailer started to sink.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Its sad if you ask me but this is a bad winter so it dont surprise me. And actully both erick and i know a couple of the peoples that trailer fell through! The one kid goes to ouro school tuff brake for dusty #74 and teamate terry #47 wahl bros racing!

·
Registered
149 Posts
That is too damn funny!

umm why bother parking on the ice when good old dry land is 20 feet behind you???

I need spellcheck!

91 RXL/SKS 650
91 Exciter II 570

·
Registered
155 Posts
That blows. Luckily nobody was hurt. It is a good example of inattention. Even the supposed pro's screw up. Keep that in mind the next time you "ride the lakes or slews". I know the other day we had a guy almost go through the ice. It scared the bajesus out of him. We now pay more attention to the weather, not the ice fishermen on the lake. LOL

Live to Ride! - FrozenSmile

·
Registered
948 Posts
Man that is harsh. Have to assume they are all insured though wouldn't they be?

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts