Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ve heard that both are great but it seems all the new sleds are going to A arm what do you guys think which is better pros and cons

[attachment=59488] [attachment=59489]

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
I would think a-arms are lighter

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Ya they are lighter on some sleds. It is just new technology. Suspension is always going to be changing. I think that you get more travel with A arms.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Lighter and more travel.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what i am thinking

·
Registered
542 Posts
Trailing arms got the job done just fine throughout the 90's. But now with the longer travel suspension a arms seem to be the only way to go.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
CMX is still using trailing arm suspensions for one reason. They say a trailing arm suspension is lighter than an A-arm suspension. I would think A-arms would have less body roll(sway) through the corners. Trailing arms did and still do work just fine, but A-Arms are definitly here to stay.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
in the breaking and bending department, you cant go wrong with either set-up.

trailing arms- your ski catches a culvert persay, the ski has to give, then your tunnel is in for it big time.

A-arm- i caught something ditch riding on my sled and it took my lower control arm and bent it to hell. the top was fine due to it more room to pivot. if you hit something hard enough you can damage your bulk head or bend the mounting ears that extend from it that the control arms mount to.

you cant win no matter what you have i guess.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
trailing arm sleds are lighter. a arms are better in the rough bumps because they transfer less engery to the tunnel for rear end kickout. meaning they stay straighter in the bumps. the lightest mountain sleds use trailing arms since they can build them lighter. the bulk head needs a lot less reinforcement.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
A-arms also have better geometry. A-arms keep the skis more level as the suspension moves throughout it's travel and a-arms have less bump steer.
IMO, trailing arms are stronger because they have more pieces that hold the front suspension to the sled and it spreads the load more evenly throughout the bulkhead.
However, in terms of performance a-arms are superior.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts