Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i was wondering what it would take to make an 02 xcsp 500 into a race sled(no engine mods) just getting the suspension ready and the studs, skis, bars, just ext. stuff. any info would be great.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
What kind of racing? If the sled is gonna get beat pretty hard you might want to look into getting a ProX chassis as the bulkhead and suspension on the ProX is much stiffer than the standard Edge.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cross country, the rough is probably going to put a beating on it but im looking to put different shocks on it, the class specifies that i run a <500 so thats what i plan on doing and some other minor stuff to make the transition

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea probably but i plan on making it into a race sled because a 500 beats out a 440 anyday(engine wise) thats why i need to switch a bunch of stuff on it.

if i do happen to find a 440 proxr ill see if i like and maybe take it pending the price, in my case right now price is key.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
are you in the stock 500cc class? Becasue if its not a stock class I would look at clutching as well.

But you may want to find a track with lugs between 1.5 and 1.7 inches. And maybe studs depending on where you will be racing. I would set it up with some 8in carbides as well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks f5, yes it is stock but i am thinking about putting studs on the sled and possibly putting some new carbides on it depending what kind of condition they're in.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2010528115051500_30828.jpg

heres the sled im looking at

Attachments

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
re valve ur shocks for style, brace the crap out of that sled. I am with powersledder on the pro-x idea. u could throw that 500 in ur pro-x but it would be kind of a messy job. Good luck on your project

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks boondocker i like the proxr idea too but i think ill stick with the 500 because of price and that proxr's arnt easy to come by. i also think ill do an ok job making the 500 into a racier sled.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
^^U know u could just get an Regular pro-x chassis and find a 500 for it. u might be able to find an 01 to 02 which were the early pro x's for a good price but those are sleds that I do not see often besides Slednecks 4 but just keep your eyes open for a good deal

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Find a ProX roller chassis and drop your parts in it. The edge will still be an edge in the end.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks sledcrusher but first i need to find a proxr chassis and then i can make the transition but i think i can make due with the edge itll do all right in the end, cross country is just really rough trail riding unlike snowcross and thats how i like it

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
what size track are you going to run? i may have some woody double backers if interested,

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
good idea xxxxx... but im already racing the prox and it would be hard to put a 500 liquid into a 440 fan chassis, i already ran it by my dad and he said that it wouldnt turn out too well just because of the size difference. but ill keep my eyes open for a prox

bj.hardy said:
what size track are you going to run? i may have some woody double backers if interested,
what r double backers?

bj.hardy said:
121"

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Double backers are backers that have 2 holes in them for 2 studs to side by side the picture explains it self better
http://www.woodystraction.com/catalog/details_product.aspx?id=0406041433227206&cat=8#

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I wanted to race XC. Will be doing that next year hopefully. I raced one amateur sno-x race and was extremely sad when it ended. Would like to be out on the track until my arms cant hold the bars anymore.

For the fan chassis, all you'd need is a heat exchanger, a hole saw, some hoses, and some rivets. Your sled has everything you need for parts really.

Then some added bracing and some stiffer valving then your golden!

Double backer studs are where its at. Much harder to get a pull through. It doesnt seem like the traction would be as high though. I could be entirely and absolutely wrong about that part, but that's just what it seems like in my head.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dont really wanna mess around too much with the sleds and i think im entirely happy with what ive got set up, i was just wondering what i could do to the 500 to make it more race ready. thanx though

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Stiffer shock valving, added aluminum bracing or something of that sort. Slipper gear in the chain case. Motor rebuild and shave the heads a little then run it on 93 octane only.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts