Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you prefer to drive ... I personally think that standard is the way to go and any car I buy next is definatly standard. I already beat the s*** out of my auto trans cuz I tend to drive it standard if I want to get more acceleration and have some fun. [B)]

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
What is standard? Are you talking about a Manual or Stick Shift?

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I much prefer stick. Less boring to drive and a lot better traction and stopping in slippery conditions. And its always slippery here since our town doesnt use road salt.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I personally prefer a manual transmission because it makes the driver feel more connected with the car. You have to pay a lot closer attention with a manual tranny.
However, automatics are nice for stop and go driving and its a lot easier to back up a trailer with an automatic.
Also, when buying used an automatic is a safer bet because to abuse an automatic you have to really try but you can abuse a manual without even realizing it. Also, an automatic tranny has fewer moving parts so in theory they should have fewer problems.
Its getting to the point now where you dont have a choice. Unless you buy an economy car or a work truck they all come with auto trannys.
Another thing to consider is resale value. A vehicle with an auto tranny will fetch more at trade-in time that one with a stickshift. The simple fact is that nowdays a lot of people dont want a vehicle with a manual tranny. Many of them never learned to drive stick and have absolutely no interest in learning how.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Stick gets alot better gas mileage and have more power, but they are also get a little annoying driving in cities.

I have a stick in my pickup and I wouldn't go back...however when it comes to screwing around on pavement I'd rather have an automatic. I already tore out my tranny once. [:(]

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by Blackcat
[br]Stick gets alot better gas mileage and have more power, but they are also get a little annoying driving in cities.

I have a stick in my pickup and I wouldn't go back...however when it comes to screwing around on pavement I'd rather have an automatic. I already tore out my tranny once. [:(]
The outo's are so good right now that the milage is the same or 1 mpg difference.

You don't have more power you just feel the engines power more as there is no fluid buffer.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
In some cases an automatic gets better milage. Also, with an automatic you can actually make more power by tweaking the torque converter.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i had a standard car for like 3 weeks, and now i have an automatic, i really like em both and im not too sure which i like better. but for a quad i would only ever get standard, so thats what i voted for

1 - 9 of 9 Posts