Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the prosse of tranplanting a 1986 440 poloris into a 1972 Artic cat. so far not to bad of a job but will have a problem routing the exaust and other is seting it up for the right size drive belt. Got 2 extra belts and one is going to be to long and the other is to short. Now if i can find somewhere the will give me masurements for belts maybe I can get the right size belt for it. At about $30 a belt don't want to get the wrong one.
Mike aka pathfinderz1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
I know theres aPolaris application chart around here for Polaris belts which gives you the lengnths.Do you know what your center to center distance is between the clutches?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the motor almost sat into place and looks like my smaller drive belt just might work. Now the big proble will be the exaust it is going to have make a sharp right hand turn and not much room. May have to run a stright pipe down and out no room for any kind of mulffler.
Boy I like having fun.
Mike aka pathfinderz1
PS
Will get some pix when I have it bolted down.


Rainman56 said:
I know theres aPolaris application chart around here for Polaris belts which gives you the lengnths.Do you know what your center to center distance is between the clutches?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
I don,t think it will run right with a straight pipe or at least won,t perform as it should.2 cycles use the pipe to help scavenge the exhaust gases from the exhaust port.I think 650 triple has a good write up somewhere on how pipes actually work.Lot different than a 4 cycle car or other small engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I crashed this sled 15 years ago and almost killed my self broke all the ribs on the left side and poke a hole on my lung.I still hurt and will till my dieing day. Just putting it togater for the fun of it. The cat has been sitting for almost all the time. Took the motor out a long time ago. I had the polaris motor sitting around and it just seemed like a fun thing to do. If I can make a pipe for it it weil only be about 2 feet long at the most. It won't be performance sled any way.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Rainman56 said:
I don,t think it will run right with a straight pipe or at least won,t perform as it should.2 cycles use the pipe to help scavenge the exhaust gases from the exhaust port.I think 650 triple has a good write up somewhere on how pipes actually work.Lot different than a 4 cycle car or other small engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok here is some pic so you can see what I was saying about room for the exuast pipe and no place for a muffler. Got any ideas?
As you can see in the pic I have the drive belt linded up
Mike aka pathfinderz1


http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o126/pathfinderz1/PC160117.jpg


pathfinderz1 said:
I crashed this sled 15 years ago and almost killed my self broke all the ribs on the left side and poke a hole on my lung.I still hurt and will till my dieing day. Just putting it togater for the fun of it. The cat has been sitting for almost all the time. Took the motor out a long time ago. I had the polaris motor sitting around and it just seemed like a fun thing to do. If I can make a pipe for it it weil only be about 2 feet long at the most. It won't be performance sled any way.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Rainman56 said:
I don,t think it will run right with a straight pipe or at least won,t perform as it should.2 cycles use the pipe to help scavenge the exhaust gases from the exhaust port.I think 650 triple has a good write up somewhere on how pipes actually work.Lot different than a 4 cycle car or other small engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if I can get the pipe bent in a tight right hand bend right out of the manifold and with a flair to go over it there will be about 2 feet of pipe with 3 bends in it and that will have to do. Just now way to put a muffler on it. Not expecting performance out of it just something to play with.
Mike aka pathfinderz1
PS
The motor is all bolded in place with rubber motor mount. and the belt I have looks like it will work. Got it fired up yesterday and sounds mean coming righ out the manifold.


pathfinderz1 said:
Ok here is some pic so you can see what I was saying about room for the exuast pipe and no place for a muffler. Got any ideas?
As you can see in the pic I have the drive belt linded up
Mike aka pathfinderz1


http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o126/pathfinderz1/PC160117.jpg


pathfinderz1 said:
I crashed this sled 15 years ago and almost killed my self broke all the ribs on the left side and poke a hole on my lung.I still hurt and will till my dieing day. Just putting it togater for the fun of it. The cat has been sitting for almost all the time. Took the motor out a long time ago. I had the polaris motor sitting around and it just seemed like a fun thing to do. If I can make a pipe for it it weil only be about 2 feet long at the most. It won't be performance sled any way.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Rainman56 said:
I don,t think it will run right with a straight pipe or at least won,t perform as it should.2 cycles use the pipe to help scavenge the exhaust gases from the exhaust port.I think 650 triple has a good write up somewhere on how pipes actually work.Lot different than a 4 cycle car or other small engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
That looks like a fun project. My brother and I are currently in the proscess of transplanting a El Tigre 6000 liquid engine into a '71 panther. I almost have the mounts ready. I see an exhaust nightmare coming also!! I do have access to a welder, I will dream up something. I'm also not looking for super performance just to make it run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Didnt someone have custom pipes out the sides on like a old Tx or somethng? else mod a old 340 exhaust to exit out the clutch side might work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
i just helped a guy put a newer 440 into a 70's panther and he ended up custom making a straight pipe that goes into a stock-ish panther muffler and it runs prety good ill get some pictures up here for ya soon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,378 Posts
Nevada huh?
Any progress on this beast?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top