Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to replace chaincase seals in an 02 600 classic.

already dicked up 2 seals trying to install. used socket that fits but still distorts the metal.

at $10 a crack for seals i want to do this once. case is out of sled.

·
Registered
584 Posts
snowolf said:

already dicked up 2 seals trying to install. used socket that fits but still distorts the metal.

thats about the only thing i have heard of for installing seals is to use a large socket that matches the outside diameter of the bearing.. you just have to be carefull when hitting it in.. and make sure the socket relly is big enough, if its to small youll pinch the casing onto the balls and f it up which sounds like you already did haha [baldy]

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fox440 said:
snowolf said:

thats about the only thing i have heard of for installing seals is to use a large socket that matches the outside diameter of the bearing.. you just have to be carefull when hitting it in.. and make sure the socket relly is big enough, if its to small youll pinch the casing onto the balls and f it up which sounds like you already did haha [baldy]

bearings are in already. just having a heck of time with replacement seals(ones with spring-ring). green edge coating is for some purpose. maybe i should freeze them before installing.....

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
snowolf said:
bearings are in already. just having a heck of time with replacement seals(ones with spring-ring). green edge coating is for some purpose. maybe i should freeze them before installing.....
Freezing it will help, but you gotta be quick about it. Leave it in for a good half-hour. Green coating is a sealer so oil doesn't leak past outside edge.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
are you using the socket backwards? you get the biggest socket that can fit in the bore before the bore of the seal goes. then you put a short extension into the cup of the socket and the back is used to hit against the seal. when the socket hits the bore that the seal goes into it stops and you will hear it hit the chain case.

the green stuff is a sealant.

do not freeze a seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts