Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned yesterday from a trip to the UP. Had a blast, racked up just over 700 miles. Trails ranged from poor to excellant. The trails close to Lake Superior in the UP were terrible! Snow conditions were variable throughout most of the Western UP. Some areas had very minimal snow cover and others just a few miles away had an 18-20" base, then others along the lake were barren! Made it up to the big lake twice but avoided riding close to it as much as possible.
Lake Gogebic were we stayed was great for speed runs! 18 miles long and flat with a good snow base.
One guy was killed in a white out late Saturday night when some idiot was flying accross the lake, hit the ski on another sled sent it flying and landed on the third sled. Alchohol was involved. Tuesday morning another white out with lake affect snow and high winds. Many people spent a couple hours trying to cross the the narrow part of the lake 3- 5 miles wide, and wound up getting all turned around in near zero visibilty conditions. People don't realize that over a few mile stretch a slight error in steering will mean your're going in circles.
After about about 330 miles the the first day and a half the 40 the plus year old body was a bit sore from the moguled trails. By the end of the trip I was back to normal, had the body back in riding shape. Hopefully next year conditions close to home will be favorable for some pre trip riding. It sucks doing a full years riding in just a few days.
Overall had a great time, met a lot of friendly people from all over the midwest, the Root Cellar was a great place to stay and made reservations for next year. Hopefully they will have have more normal conditions, I'm shooting for 1000 miles on next years 3 1/2 day trip.
I'll post some pics soon.

2001 ZL800
Delta IIs
Power Breather
MBRP Silencer
Coupling Kit
Goodwin Clutch Kit

Creek beds don't make good brakes!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I've been there once, and i had a great time with lots of fluff to drive on. Wish i could go this year like you.

Let it snow!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Sounds like alot of fun. Last year we went up to the Hurley area and rode, that was a blast. They had about a 30 inch base. At times it was like riding a jetski on some of the less used trails. doubt that this year you could find a less used trail.

'00' 500 XC SP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts