Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new here and i am stuck between a few sleds. i am looking at a 97 xlt rmk, a 97 indy 700 rmk, a 98 indy 600 rmk and a 98 indy 700 rmk. what size of rmk will depend on the price i can find. i like these because they have the wedge style body. my question is what engine is better a triple or a twin. i ride a few trails and mostly in flat fields and across lakes. i also like to go up some big hill whenever i have the chance. what do you guys think.

·
Registered
985 Posts
well of the sleds you listed, without a doubt the strongest is the 700 twin. but i like triples.
and the ol XLT was a good motor. buy whichever is the best deal.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Originally posted by bulldog_shotgun
[br]well of the sleds you listed, without a doubt the strongest is the 700 twin. but i like triples.
and the ol XLT was a good motor. buy whichever is the best deal.
couldnt have said it better myself

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so you guys think that twins are stronger then triples. what would you say is stronger between a 600 triple and a 600 twin?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The 700 twin is in a whole 'nother league than the XLT's engine.
Comparing the domestic 700 twin to the XLT is like comparing a Mustang GT to a Ferrari. Both are powerfull, the 700 is just a little bit more powerfull.
In stock form the 700 is putting out about 25 hp more than the XLT. Granted, you could put pipes on the XLT but the 700 is still going to better because it will be a lighter sled with the same power as the piped XLT.
Unless all you want to do is run wide-open back and forth accross the lake, go with a twin.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Actually Octane the 97 XLT RMK is the lightest of the bunch at 490 lbs compared to 496 lbs for the 97 and 98 RMK's at 496 lbs. (according to polarisman.com) I think you are dead on about the HP though, I think the 700 twin will still have more HP than the 600 piped triple...onlypolaris if you've got your heart set on an older longtrack look at the 96 Ultra RMK with a set of pipes and the right clutching, NONE of the sleds you mentioned would touch it..[:D]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so triples arent very good for going up hills and through powder. and twins are better at it. and i am not worried about a six pound weight difference.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
both are good motors ,just have to remember the triple is a little harder to work on but not much ,twins usually have a little more bottom end torque,and if it was me i would try to find a low miled triple ,but thats me!!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Originally posted by onlypolaris
[br]do ultras come stock with triple pipes?
Wedge chassis, no they didn't. Agressive chassis, yes most did.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i dont want the ultra because it is heavier and i dont want anything olde than an 97. does anybody know how many hp a 97 indy 700 rmk puts out?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The ultra's were a great sled and if you put triple pipes on them.... I don't need to say more. OK, they become animals, and go like a raped ape.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
[br]ok i dont want the ultra because it is heavier and i dont want anything olde than an 97. does anybody know how many hp a 97 indy 700 rmk puts out?
An ultra with pipes is no heavier than an RMK 700 twin.

Dry weight of an ultra is around 509 lbs, but pipes drop around 30 lbs of weight....

509-30= 479 lbs. probably a slight bit more, because of the longer track, but the triple heavier then twins is a myth.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Pance
[br]
[br]ok i dont want the ultra because it is heavier and i dont want anything olde than an 97. does anybody know how many hp a 97 indy 700 rmk puts out?
An ultra with pipes is no heavier than an RMK 700 twin.

Dry weight of an ultra is around 509 lbs, but pipes drop around 30 lbs of weight....

509-30= 479 lbs. probably a slight bit more, because of the longer track, but the triple heavier then twins is a myth.
are the ultras any good in the powder and climbing hills?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
^^^^^ Yes it will be the same as the 97 xlt's or rmk's, they are all wedge chassis so they will be basically the same except for the motor/power.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
With pipes easily 140-155 depending on what rpm pipes they are.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok thanks i just cant decide if i want a triple or not. my dad used to have one and it was great but i never rode it mch except for across a lake.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
The biggest thing to remeber is if you go with the triple is to have it set up by someone who knows how to set a triple up right, the biggest problems with triples came from "shade tree mechanics" who shouldn't have been allowed to work on go-karts throwing a set of pipes on one without re-jetting and re-clutching and then pissin and moaning about "what a pile of junk the triple was" because it blew up.....[:(!]

1 - 20 of 50 Posts