Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i don’t think any sled from the factory is setup very well to do light towing other than the utility sleds.

I think the 98 700 rmk would be about the best sled for this.factory low gearing, good track. a lot of the early twins were geared lower than the older triples. So that would make them better for towing.

On the other hand the xcr 800 had a lot more cooling capacity, it also has a lot of low speed power. gearing it down low in the chain case makes even more torque at the drive axle. But the stock track sucked for the sled on trails let alone pulling anything with it.
Heavier machine can pull more than a light machine. A heavier machine with more hp and torque can really out pull a lighter machine.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I have no issue pulling with my 98' indy 500. I use it to pull my ice fishing sleds. they weigh around the 250 lb range when fully loaded. The 500 has plenty of power, low to the ground and has coolers which are close to the ground.
Never used a triple as I got rid of those years ago.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think that if you are using a liquid cooled machine keeping it from overheating at the low tow speeds will be the issue. Depending on what you get, if it is an older sled installing a heat exchanger that goes on the back of the tunnel might make all the difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts