Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guy's, I realize there's a chance this question has been asked a time or 2 before, but I'm new here and asking for help.

I want to go bigger this year, from a Z440 up to something in the 600 range.Kinda torn betwween a (used of course)ZR600 or ZRT600.I don't ride groomed trails very often and I'm concerned about the extra weight of the triple in the woods.

But I really like the sound of the triple.

So,how do they compare in terms of power, handling, reliability,fuel mileage and any other tidbits of information you might be able to help me out with?

Thanks a bunch, guys

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hmm, this will be interesting...

my 2 cents - i wouldn't pass your decision on sound....

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
NOW you've done it.......this is always a hot topic around here.
I ride a 500 twin, there are no triples in that flavour anyways,
but I would ride nothing else but twins myself, just my preferance.
Triples, in my opinion, are harder on gas, less reliable, but sound great.
2 years ago I towed a 98 Mach Z to my trailer with a cooked middle
piston due to overheating, the middle cylinder doesn't cool as well
sitting next to the outside ones.
I also think that there is a reason the big 3, P/AC/SD,
have trimmed their triples from their sled line ups.
Just my opinion.
K

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sledhead, I would never base my decision on sound, I want power, but I think I need it down low, where a twin makes more than the triple(I think).But I wonder how much difference there is.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
wow this is getting even deeper... there is much debate on that topic...
(power - twin vs triple)

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
134 Posts
in my opnion i would go twin because triples are a little more heavier like they were saying b4 the middle piston has been known to burn...my freinds 99 zr600 beat a 2000zrt600...they both only had canisters on them...off the line the 600 burnt'em but the triple was close...twins have more snap but o well your choice...uther things come to factor like price mileage year too...soo w.e is in the budget

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
From what you have said I would get a twin (you want a light sled sith lowend power) but if you ride lakes more then get the tripple. I have only ever driven one or 2 triples and they are nice but I prefer the fans.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well....my current sled and the sled before this one were triples. The triples are great on a lake and theres nothing as smooth as a 3 banger, but for trail riding through woods and turns I would have to go with the lighter weight twin. As for drag racing, its how your ride is set up. I've smoked many a twin in my day and had many a twins beat me. The name of the game is how fast you want to go? The more money and time invested, the faster the ride. If you think thats crazy, ask my friend who owns some of the fastest Ski Doos on the east coast. Dwight Buchanan of Benoit-Buchanan Racing. His sleds are absolute rockets.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Oh man, another one of these posts. Hmm...I used to own a triple (XLT) and found it boggy and underpowered. That could be due to the fact that it probably needed some clutching done and larger carbs though. Right now I currently ride an XC 700 which is a twin. I love the machine and wont be getting rid of it for a long time. I love the low end power and the acceleration. Sure a triple may sound nice, but so does a twin. Twins may seem like they are not smooth, sure they aren't as smooth as a triple, but they are a LOT smoother than most people think. In my opinion, I would go with the twin, they are GREAT!

P.S. You can just about count on TriumphoverU to be in here saying a word or two.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Generally, the tripple will cost more to fix as far as engine rebuilds are concerned. Truthfully, i didn't notice a difference in vibration between the two; i've owned both twin and tripple sleds.......only at idle did it vibrate.
This may have nothing to do with your decision, but also consider that NEW tripples are leaving the scene for future sleds as the ever-growing popularity of twins takes over.

One of the main reasons in the past that big twins where UNwanted is that manufacturers didn't have the technology or money to produce a vibration-free BIG twin, so they made big tripples. Then in the mid 90's manufacturers successfully made reliable BIG twins with tons of torque and low vibes, so the (generally) heavier tripples have since been slowly going away as the demand for twins rises. I believe Polaris and Cat only have ONE remaining sled that they sell new that contains a tripple. Correct me if i'm wrong...

IMO, of course....

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well i was kind of avoiding this topic to see where the rest of you might take it. Buttttttt.....here's my input on the situation. the XLT motor is maybe 20-30 lbs heavier than any twin of comparable size. If any of you think that this is alot of weight....i hope none of you are considering buying the new RX-1 from yamaha. Estimated weight on that sled is approaching 580 lbs dry as compared to my sled of 499 lbs. Now i will admit that triples are more for high speed runs, but they also have much more to offer. For every 2 revolutions of the crank a triple will fire 3 times as opposed to a twin which will obviously fire only 2 times. This is the same basic theory as to why 2-stroke engines are better than 4 strokes.....more firing sequences in a 2-stroke compared to the 4. I personally say the only reason the triple market is dieing out is due to the cost of manufacturing these engines. I mean when was the last time you seen or heard of a new triple engine...i mean a totally new engine....its been a while. If the manufacturers can make the same HP with NEW twins compared to OLD triples, using less materials, thus making the cost of production cheaper, which way do you think they will go? When they dont spend the money to R&D any new triples they kind of pull the shades over our eyes in making us believe that the twins can make more HP. Now back to my point....well i think i had one. Anyways...a triple if set up properly should be able to keep up with and take a twin of the same size in a straight line race. Now if we start to talk about powder or tight twisty trails some might argue that the weight will have negative effects. I personally cant tell the difference between my Triumph or an XC 600. The sleds handle the same and in my opinion the XC might have a little bit more off of the line but my triple will catch up to it and go by it quickly. Though the XC i rode had a clutch kit which my sled does not. I just believe that the mfg's stoped the R&D on these sleds because they werent making as much money on them. You guys go out to the grass drag races and look at the sleds running, you will find alot of triple cylinder engines....there is a reason for this and i hope i have done a little bit to clarify why the triple market is dieing out. As for reliability...i dont see any issues in this department....there are more parts but when you think about it....when you go out to buy a car do you go and buy the 3 cylinder chevy metro just because it has fewer parts than an 8-cylinder camaro? I think not...most of us "younguns" would go for the camaro in a heart-beat (no-pun intended). If you re-gear the triple cylinder sleds correctly and make sure the carburetion is right, or R&D'ing your personal sled...you should have no problems keeping up with or beating any twin of the same size.

Hey erick...hows this for a "word or two"....lmao

Guys these are my opinions only, and as you can tell im a big fan of the Triple, but then again there isnt anything wrong with any of the twins out there either.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Most all of what you say is true. The companies will do the cheapest route, which is the twin way. If the triples technology would have continued to evolve, they would be very powerfull also, but since there aren't any really new developed triples out there, you can't compare them to the brand new twins. So yeah, they are tricking people in a way, but in the long run saving themselves a lot of money in the production of each sled.

Look at the XCR 800 and the XC 800 HP figures. The xcr has a very nice lead over the XC...just one example.

I still like twins though.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a friend with a Polaris Ultra and he rides that thing in some pretty tight woods in the powder and he's never seemed to have a problem keeping up with the lightweight twins.I personally prefer the twins, that's just me.Doesn't it seem strange that most manufacturers are phasing out tripples, but yamaha has done away with all there twins in favor of tripples.Go figure.
It's hard to say which is better overall, I think it just boils down to preference.

my brain hurts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I must state my 2 cents worth here. You will be able to tell I am bias towards triples. I knew I was hooked when I rode my first triple a 1979 polaris centurion. nothing compared then, and in my experience nothing compares now to my 2000 XCR 800. Everyone talks about weight of the triples. what about weight of the rider. I am only 175 LBS. when I ride with my 200 LB plus friends the weight difference and the fabled more low end power becomes a moot point. I have a friend with the blue and yellow 2002 800 twin Polaris and another with the 2002 Skidoo mxz800 twin. When we all raced stock it was basically a dead even heat up to 100 mph were I start to loose them badly. I added a Heel Klicker kit to my so called low end torque challanged triple. We raced some more and the difference was incredible. When I hook up I am gone... and thats even with spotting them a few lengths while I try to get hooked. I am now having a problem keeping the front clutch side motormount from ripping apart ( I have torn it twice) So the torque is there in this particular triple, it was just hidden. On the twisties or off trail there appears to be no difference. No one gets any where faster then the other. The track lug depth is more important than twin or triple. The edge suspension is better on my freinds 2002 but so far, its always him trying to catch me on the trail not vica-versa. As for fuel milage... yes I have always paid a lot more at the pump than most twins. Until now. Last season and dont ask me how, I was consistantly the same or slightly lower than both of those sleds mentioned above at the pumps. And the Skidoo had that fuel saving device on it. Well thats all for now. Buy the triple (especially if you are a lightweight) because there's always going to be some open stretches. You can stay with the twins in thier element but they cant stay with us in ours.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Don't forget, if you are into mogul bashing or jumping, having a triple isn't nearly as good because the front of the machine wants to point at the ground when you are in the air.

IMO, both types are good. Depends where you want your power. How much $ you have in case of a break-down, a twin is cheaper to fix.

It's all people's opinions. This guy says his triple keeps up with twins. From my experiences, I could say he's full of it and start a big flame war, but that's not gonna happen.

Last winter we were out crusing on our dirt/snow trails and some guys show up with a brand new XC 800 twin and a brand new XCR 800 triple. We chatted with them for a while, then started asking about the speeds and blah blah blah... ya know. Anyway, the trail was half dirt, so you can imagine what traction was like. Ever drive your sled on grass? well, that's how it was. The 2 800's line up, both the guys give it all they got and the twin smoked the triple off the line up to my guess is about 90 mph or so. Then the big triple started to catch up. By the time they were a mile away, they were about even. So we drove over to them, and got the riders to switch machines, even though they were of similar build/weight... Same scenerio, the twin killed the triple to a certain speed, then it caught up. Had they had more room than 1 mile, I'm sure at top top speed the triple would take the twin, but the low end on the twin was amazing. And this is stock machines. No extra dough to spice them up to force them to be able to compete.

So anyway, moral of the story: Go test ride both machines. Find out their good sides and their bad sides. Find out for yourself because triple biased people and twin biased people won't help you at all. They will just promote what they like.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
No... actually you misunderstood me, I never said that my triples keep up to the twins. I said that my triples have more torque available (hidden). This is because there is more horse power. I also stated that my triple will get the same milage. I said that my triple with a clutch improvement will out accelerate and top out higher than the twins. I also said that no twin has been able to perform in the trails any better than my triple but that my triple will out perform in other areas. Wow thats a whole lot of triples in one paragraph.LOL. I guess I should have been more clear... the big twins can keep up in the trails. but thats it. Also In owning over thirty different sleds over the years; twins and triples, I have never noticed the front end pointing to the ground during a jump. Actually its opposite, I usually end up too high in the nose and come down too hard on the rear. Your last comment was the right one p-man . Check them both out. I would love to know which one HE picks. I hope he lets us know.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I said I wasn't going to argue over anything.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow guys, I'm impressed with the sheer amount of response here.You all make very good points.
Unfortunately, test driving either type of sled is impossible right now, and I want to pick one up while the prices are good.I plan to go with a twin.My dealer has a used ZR600 as well as a500 coming in this week.I plan on having a look at 'em as soon as i can.The reasons are mainly monetary, I can buy either of them for considerably less than the ZRT he's got in.I do prefer ditch banging to flat out blistering speed as well.I'm sure I would be pretty happy either way, as I'm coming from a 440 fan.
There's something that definately draws me to a triple though.I REALLY like those things.
Anyway, I really appreciate all the help you gave me.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Hey, no problem. That's what we are here for

Any other questions, or just to chat with other snowmobilers, just keep coming back. This place gets quite interesting in winter!

Ride the Best!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.