Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size triples has polaris made? Is the 600 or the 650 more dependable? Ive heard the xlt was the largest selling model ever made! C/M

·
Registered
985 Posts
they made
centurion--------500
XLT/XCR/truimph--580 & 600
RXL/650----------650
Ultra------------680
XCR--------------600/700(680)/800
Storm------------750/800[/font=Courier New]

am i forgetting any??

600 XLT's are Very reliable especially after the bearing fix.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i dont know much about the 650s. but the 580 xlt was an awesome running sled. 93-94. very reliable. the newer xlts with the 600 were great too. yes they had their crank failure problem. but theres a few out there that never glitched. they just keep running. the ultra is a very awesome motor too. need to have the triple pipes but quite reliable. storms were good but lacked power for an 800. great start for a build up.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by bulldog_shotgun
[br]they made
centurion--------500
RXL/650----------650
Ultra------------680

am i forgetting any??

Any of the triples are great engines, as long as proper maintenance is done.
There was a 440 triple F/A in the mid 70's. The TX500 was a triple. And there was a 699cc XCR 700 in 99, I think?

Bryan

·
Registered
985 Posts
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]
[br]they made
centurion--------500
RXL/650----------650
Ultra------------680

am i forgetting any??

There was a 440 triple F/A in the mid 70's. The TX500 was a triple. And there was a 699cc XCR 700 in 99, I think?

Bryan

didn't know about the 440 triple that would be a cool sled.
the TX was the centurion motor.
and i think your right the 99 xcr was a 700 w/valves.

·
Registered
539 Posts
polaris used 440 triple free air motor in the '72 or '73 starfire and for several years after. they had a 650 free air triple in the '75 starfire PDC racer as well as an 800 free air triple. these were race motors.
the centurian 500 was a 3 cylinder liquid motor.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
[br]
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]
[br]they made
centurion--------500
RXL/650----------650
Ultra------------680

am i forgetting any??

Bryan

didn't know about the 440 triple that would be a cool sled.
the TX was the centurion motor.
and i think your right the 99 xcr was a 700 w/valves.

Actually the TX500 was a free air - 71 or 72 ish?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Polaris did make a free air 440 triple. Back in the snopro and sachs engine days. Also made a 600 triple which was the precursor to the 650 motor. The 600, 650, 680, and 800 I think are the most powerful and most reliable. All three had the same basic crank design and the cranks on these were very beefy! The XLT's started trying to cut weight to live up to their name the Xtra Light Triple. They did so by cutting out the double row PTO bearing on some.

[galleryattach=5790]

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Blowing a base gasket on a 650 makes a big mess.Ive got some really nice cylinders for sale if anyone is interested.

[attachment=54576]

·
Registered
232 Posts
i know some people swear by triples but you all have to agree that it is hard to tell if one pistone is not working properly. but other than that triples are exellent

·
Registered
690 Posts
heres mine, triples are awesome if you take care of them
[attachment=47869] [attachment=47870]

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
agree very strongly with everyone, I have never owned anything but a triple, i do like the weight of the twins but i LOVE the power of the triples. Either way snowmobiling is way too addicting, anyone else got the itch??? or is that just me??............hope i dont have crabs :)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The triples were good engines, but issues with bad cranks gave triples a bad name. The XLTs had issues with bad cranks.
Also, there is the perception that triples are heavier than twins. Triples are NOT heavier than twins.
I personally love the sound of a 2-stroke triple but I would never want another triple-cylinder sled because they all feel very noseheavy. I had a '95 XCR 600 and it was a nice sled but you could definetely feel the weight in the nose of the sled as compared to a '98 600 XC.
Its not as if Polaris' triples were bad engines though, even to this day they can hold their own, especially on the lake (and when equipped with triple pipes).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've always run triples (except for my first sled, an Indy400) up until a few years ago.
I had a ported and piped 650Indy, and two flannery 800 Ultra's. Then after a bad season of issues I got rid of the Ultra and in 04 I bought a 03 ProX 700. With that sled I changed my whole way of thinking, I clutched it and added an SLP pipe and how ever it runs it runs. I ended up learning more about suspension tuning than go fast tuning and the few seasons I've ridden it I really havent missed the big triples. Except maybe on some of the UP trips when your running a trail 80 +mph the twin sounds like a sick vacuum cleaner, vs the singing of a triple.
But recently I've really been interested in doing an Edge/800ves conversion. Now that would be the best of both worlds.

I'd like my ProX for ditchbanging and the tight trails of the lower (MI) and then have the triple Edge for the U.P. .

·
Registered
99 Posts
i know what you are saying. i want to do a pro-x/triple conversion also. i asked doug flannery to help me with one but he didn't want to tackle that one. shock towers are too high for pipes to fit properly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not sure but I think if you start with a Prox chassis , by the time you make the mods for pipe clearance you are basically the same as and Edge. I know you have to cut the bulkhead around the side (where are oil pumps are) and I think you have to cut down the shock towers.
I just plan on making my conversion as close to a proX as possible , ergo's and beef up the suspension some. Hopefully in the next month I will be finding out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts