Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to start either asphault or grass drags( or both) and im just trying to figure out what would be a good sled to get. Its going to be a while before i can buy a sled but thought it would be a good idea to brain storm now.
I can't decide whether to get a 800zrt, 1000 Thundercat, 2000-2004 Zr 800 or 900. If i go polaris it would have to be inbetween the 96+ 800 storms or 680 ultras.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
in the sactioned grass drags the rules pretty much outlaw triple era sleds expect for mod classes. the rules also heavily favor the twins.
if its outlaw or non sactioned racing, then i would go for the bigger cc machines and run triple. you can get it very close in weight but have lots more power.

for asphalt just about any sled would work if you are in a bracket racing setup or dial in class.
for pure perforamance on asphalt the triples are king. twins dont make the pure race hp.

i dont care what machine you pick, if you are thinking crank hp is going to win races you will be a big time loser. grass drags are won by the 60' mark. it takes a heap of hp to make a win at 500' if you lose the 60'. watch a lot of grass drags and most are won at the startling line.

racing is a tuners game, it takes years to get a sled dialed in.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
^^^^
Very true. Most drags are won at the line by getting the better reaction time and by having the sled set up to actually get traction, rather than just spinning the track.
The idea is to set up to put out the most power than you can still hook up with, and then to build on it from there.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
racnmod said:
Xcr 800 is a better motor than the storm.
Hell, the 680 is almost better than the storm.

Almost....

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I wouldn’t be to quick to bash the storm engine. It was very detuned from the factory but from a racing standpoint the bottom end is a very strong bottom end, storm based sleds set a lot of records that took many years to beat or some haven’t been broken yet.
Not hard to get a 145 hp storm to hang even with a 155 hp xcr 800. just a lot of adjusting things that the factory didn’t do. No aftermarket pipes or any porting, just simple engine adjustments and good clutch gear setup.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm. Lets say i was going to just go asphault racing. Which sled would be more reliable, and easier to work on? Which sled would be " the best bang for the buck".?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The one where noone cut corners setting it up.

Storm motors in wedge chassis are notoriously fast sleds. Especially if you do the ghost porting and bore them over.

You also need to get the power to the ground.

You're a lot better off finding a used drag sled then trying to build your first one yourself, because someone has already spent all the $$ on trial and error stuff.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
The one where noone cut corners setting it up.

Storm motors in wedge chassis are notoriously fast sleds. Especially if you do the ghost porting and bore them over.

You also need to get the power to the ground.

You're a lot better off finding a used drag sled then trying to build your first one yourself, because someone has already spent all the $$ on trial and error stuff.
the only problem is i haven't really seen any drag sleds for sale up in Alaska.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
For asphalt you don’t need to have a huge hp sled. Go to your local track and run weeknight dial in or bracket classes. You might get lined up against a 7 second super comp guy one round and a geo metro the next round. It’s a drivers game as well as a tuners game.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i guess i should ask which sleds seem to be more reliable and easier to work on?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
In theory the twins will be cheaper to tune since there is 1 less of everything. And usually more room under the hood to get around stuff.

The old polaris 700 twin non ves motors respond very well to mods and can be a great little sled. Very light and can be made lighter, good hp and for asphalt are plenty quick. They aren’t going to post huge mph numbers but can post nice low et’s for a 700 cc twin. For the most part they are cheap sleds to buy and keep running.
But any sled once you start tinkering with it will have it headaches.
A well setup stock xcr 800 can provide you with winter time fun and summer time racing.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The only bad point of racing an 800XCR, is the mass of competition in the 800 class.. It'll take a long time to get anywhere out of the bottom of the ranks and can be discouraging to a new racer.

You might want to go to the 700 (twin or triple) class, there's a lot smaller classes to start out, and move up later.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
750stormer said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
racnmod said:
Xcr 800 is a better motor than the storm.
Hell, the 680 is almost better than the storm.

Almost....
storm s 750 bottom end is stronger the most if not all 800 s an i eat 680 just never tuned right
To bad i sold my 750 storm last year lol. It needed a little to much work and money i had to fix it up.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is a 121'' or a 136'' track better for asphault?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts