Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well basically had to do this for my 600th post, but i'm planning on re-gearing my sled yet again possibly down to an 18:39 ratio. If I ever get a clutch kit or find a company that sells pipes i will probably change it back, but for now, acceleration is much more my flavor than top end. So if anyone out there knows if triple pipes for a Triumph exist let me know.

Later,

Dean

like i said 600th post, couldnt resist...and since i call the shop my home i figured what better place to post it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
ToU doesn't the triumph use the same motor as the XCR 600 of the same year? I'm sure you have your choice of pipes at that point wouldn't you? or are you meaning used pipes?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Check that ToU, very hard to find. I remember now. Had to shake the webs out.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Never seen them b4, triumph is a hard sled to find aftermarket parts for..

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I have talked to SLP,AAEN,and PSI about triple pipes for the Triumph. None of them can confirm if the standard,evolved or agressive triple pipes for the XLT will fit.

Hot Seat does make a clutch kit for the Triumph-part# 600-9.

Stock gears are 21:39, TriumpoverU what are you at now and what kind of difference did it make??

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes triumphoveru what has the gear changes done for your triumph i would like to be able to stand mine straight up. COME ON SNOW I AM TIRED OF SUMMER

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
ToU went out to this site http://www.mfgsupply.com and plugged in your sled and it uses a lot of parts that are the same as the 95-99 XLT's. Unfortunately, no pipes were listed.

Looked at some pictures of your sled from old posts and your stock pipe and can look identical to the one on my 97 XLT. When I get my sled out of storage you are welcome to take some measurements if you want to see if the dimensions are the same or close.

DA

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well guys right now i'm only 1 tooth down from stock. I did this at the same time i studded my track so that i would have more power to the ground and not bog the engine with all the newfound traction. I definatly felt a difference in the acceleration (or pull). The sled now tops out at a confirmed 94 mph (gps) instead of the 97 or 98 (unconfirmed - but good gustimate) from the fact that my speedo is about 4 mph off. If i gear down further it should give me more low end accel, but i will top out at approximatly 80 mph if i swap down to the 18 tooth gear. I've got it setup right now to the point where it barely pulls the front end off the ground (the way i like it - easier to steer with ski's on the ground). If i get a chance to swap out the gears before the snow flies i'll be sure to keep everyone posted on my findings.

Now onto the pipes issue. From what i have "heard" aftermarket pipes from a 99 xlt sp will fit. I'm sure they would fit up to the engine fine, but am worried about pipe to body clearances. The different chassis' had different clearances under the hood and dont really want to spend $600 on something that doesnt fit. If there were a pipe company around here i would take the sled directly to them and see if they would want to try and see if their pipes would fit under the hood...i'd be willing to bet that they would be happy to do this, because if they fit, it would be one more group of sleds they could sell the same pipes for.

Anyways....the clutch kit may be coming this winter, not sure yet, depends on the money situation especially since i have went back to school. And Polaris XLTSP i may just have to do a little measuring when i get a little more serious about the possibility of pipes.

Thanks guys for your answers...nice to keep the Triumph/XLT guys informed.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
thats right, keep us XLT GUYS INFORMED.....he he he, your outnumbered here buddy...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had actually already seen that post ACE, thanks anyways. I emailed the guy about it but so far havent gotten any response...hopefully will get it soon.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I checked out Dynoport...they only make a silencer for your Triumph.....I'm pretty sure any triple pipe for a 95-99 XLT will easily fit....but it wouldn't hurt to get some more info, rather than fork out the cash and end up with a great set of pipes for a different sled.....how much smaller is the GENII chassis then the older wedge?....you'd think the pipes would fit?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
that gearing would make that sled a rocket on the trail, your pull of acceleration should be awsome, with that gearing and some heavy clutching, you should have better performance than a slp piped and clutched xlt, good gearing and clutching can make more difference than pipes and soso clutching, i raced a guy with the exact same sled as me except he was piped with there clutch kit, in drag racing it was close but in mph in 1000 feet i had him by 2 mph that day, buy the end of the season i had him buy 7 mph.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
It would be spendy but you could have pipes custom made..

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i think the idea of pipes is pretty much out the window. I believe i'm going to try gears and clutching...much cheaper, and hopefully gain just as much anyways. I trust madcow, and if he says it can be done, I believe him. No questions asked.

Like so send out a special Thanks to madcow for all his advice.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Here's something I found for your sled Triumph.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42596&item=2432420143

I figured since you're going to be an engineer you should be able to fit it right in with no problem.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if you can cut and gas weld you could make any xlt pipes fit,lol it might only take 40 hours.

thanks for the trust, i like to see people save money and still have fun, been down the rip off road to many times, no more. i figure if you can buy a kit for 200 bucks, why not spend that money at your dealer and end up with enough stuff to make a half a dozen kits for any conditions.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I found a company that sells Triple pipes for your Triumph....its D.L. Performance www.dlperform.com I believe they suggest you call for $pricing$...could be quite expensive though it is based out of Canada...if you check on the site in the 2003 catalogue/section exhausts...they are on page 18 within the Acrobat reader....Holding the name "Lake Runner" Pipes.....

I know you may have thrown the idea of triple pipes out the window...but hey next year comes around fast...ha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts