Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well while I'm trying to get to the bottom of the backfireing issue on my wifes 2000 Triumph, and it's in the shop and all I wanted to try to get the reverse fixed. It has the worst grind to it you've ever heard when engaged, I've tried tightening the linkage, but it does'nt seem to change anything, does the chain tension change anything? Is there a gear in there that is prone to fail? There was alot of metal filings on the drive chain dipstick, prior to changing the oil in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
With metal shavings it's definately a gearbox problem. I'd go off that for now...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Definately check all the teeth of all the sprokets in the case for wear.....replace ANY that are. Check the chain over as well. Always be sure to check the reverse linkage and the chain tension, as they stretch over time and need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I owned my '96 XLT two-up, had the same problem. Talked to the dealer I bought the machine from and he informed me that Polaris mechanical reverse systems are prone to excessive wear (the gear teeth round off and don't mesh quite properly). This wear can be from a number of items, not waiting for the machine to come to a complete stop with the engine at idle, trying to engage the reverse when the drive chain is still loaded for foward motion (on an incline), improperly adjusted cable, cable bracket bolts on the chaincase are loose or have come loose at some time.

When the reverse gear has excessive wear, it may be difficult for it to release, making you shut off the sled so the reverse gear can disengage (very annoying).

I agree with Tfin70, check the chaincase gearing, replace gears as required.

This should be a pre-season chek as well. The unfortunate aspect is that it means opening the gearcase to inspect.

Cheers

I was also informed that iron filings resulting from the reverse gear wear is normal for Polaris mechanical reverse systems.

I've also had friends remove the mechanical reverse from their Polaris sleds because of the noise.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Last year my dads skidoo grand touring was doing this. At the dealer ship, all the guy did was shorted the arm on the pull lever, so that it stuck in gear. What was happening was it would go in gear, then when you backed up, it would fall parshally out of gear and make that grinding noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replys, I think I will tear it down this coming summer and take a look at the gears, reverse is a luxury. Snow here is good now so we'll go out and enjoy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts