Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of these with a 6.5 HP motor...
http://www.mancoprod.com/Products/funcarts/Intermediate/286b.htm
This weekend was really its first heavy use ever, and the freaking tires are bald because everyone in the family wanted to drive it on the street!! But anyway the break is pretty much completely gone. I really can't tell what the problem is. You push the pedal and it just kinda stays down and doesn't actually stop you. There's no way the pad could be gone already, unless those damn things are made of rubber or something. My other issue is the chain. It seems real loose. It goes right from the axle to the middle gear piece, then from there its a belt to the motor. The chain, as far as I can remember, was nice and tight when I bought it. Now there's all sorts of slack in it, yet no way to movie either gear to tighten it. You can even hear the chain shift when you get off the gas. But I did manage to put some rubber O rings in the front suspension assembly so it no longer makes really loud metal on metal noises when you go over bumps. But I bought this thing on the internet and there are no dealers around so I don't really know where to bring it to be checked out. Hopefully someone here will know what I should do.

And after this weekend I officially really need reverse. How similar are small motor mounts and transmissions etc? I'd love to put an ATV semi automatic transmission with reverse on there, and the whole motor too if need be. These things are a bitch to turn around when you've got super thick brush to each side and directly ahead.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My bud has a '87ish Indy400 motor that he would sell for cheap. I'd pop that sucker in there, then forget about the brakes and stuff, just keep her punched.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Oh yea, and the 400 has reverse, it's off a classic Indy400 sled.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
hmm, its funny all that stuff is loose already, I like pigboy's idea about the 400 motor, that would probley be scary as hell though so I probley wouldnt let the kids ride it..haha

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Yeh the 400 is a liquid, you would have to make a radiator out of a oil cooler or something..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Do your brakes use cables that run from the peddle to them? If so, this is where your problem will be. As you use cable breaks, the stretch, which cause the problems you are describing. If you can find any adjustments, that should fix that problem. Look for a screw or a set up like on a bicycle, where the cable is held in place with a bolt. The thing you could try with the chain is taking it to a motorbike dealer and having a link removed, that would tighten it up properly. As for reverse, i don't have any ideas on how to add that unless you change motors and stuff. Sounds like a really fun toy to play with though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The brakes actually use a solid metal rod connected to the lever and to the caliper, it acts the same way as a cable would, only its totally solid. Ill have to look and see if there are any adjustments, but I don't think there are. And I'll see if there are any shops like that around for the chain. I would be willing to swap a motor/tranny combo from something in the same 5 to 7 HP range to get reverse, if I could get a motor that wasn't too expensive, and if it didn't require too much welding. But liquid cooled sounds like way too much work than it would be worth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Huh I just looked it up those are interesting! But what's even more interesting is that I found info and apparently the whole motor can in fact be moved to tighten or loosen the chain. I'll have to go check that out and see if mine moves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a transmission!! I was thinking about using a lawnmower one. Like out of a riding lanmower. Then I found one made specifically for go karts, only a forward and a reverse gear, but still thats plenty for me. If I really wanna go faster someday maybe ill jump to a 8.5 HP or something. This is good I only have to look and see if I can mount this thing
The problem is also that it was $300, if you know of another place I can get one, let me know :-D

http://www.mfgsupply.com/GoMiniAxlesGearBox.html/mv_session_id=yrxhGhKB

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
yeah thats how you tighten your chain,there is 4 bolts under the motor just loosen them and then push your motor forwards and tighten the bolts back up..at least thats how my friends kids is which is pretty close to what you have

·
Registered
352 Posts
me and my brother toyed with the idea ( i would NEVER do this to my baby!) about takeing the engine out of my 570 L/C ExciterII and putting it in a go gart like that one....that would be a gokart that the Sportquads woudnt even mess with! lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts