Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a 72 Scorpion super stinger 440. I have a about 20 miles on this year. I had it running and I shut it off. When i went to start it again it wouldnt start and it still will not start. I have pulled out almost all my hair trying to figure it out. Let me know what you guys think.

thank you

·
Registered
288 Posts
Have you tired priming the cylinders, pouring a little gas in them to see if that gets her going. Check the spark. It likely to be be a fuel delivery problem but electronic is a close second.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Key switch or kill switch for the shut off? Unplug them both and try it again.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Gotta start with what you've checked. Does it have spark? Is it getting gas? Answer those 2 most important questions and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Originally posted by scorprider
[br]I recently inherited a 72 Scorpion super stinger 440. I have a about 20 miles on this year. I had it running and I shut it off. When i went to start it again it wouldnt start and it still will not start. I have pulled out almost all my hair trying to figure it out. Let me know what you guys think.

thank you
I bet you have no spark and that the coil(s) need replacing. Check for spark by pulling the plugs. Once pulled hook the spark plug wire back up to it and then rest the bottom of the plug on top of the engine. You will be ablt ot see if there is spark by looking at the gap on the plug. If no spark I'd replace the coils. Very typical of an old machine.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Are the plugs wet? You may be getting too much fuel. Pull the plugs. Carefully (with a fire extinguisher on hand) stick a lit propane torch flame down the cylinder. This will burn out the excess fuel. If your plugs and cylinder continues to get too wet, rebuild the carb. You might just want to rebuild it anyway. Good Luck! Any chance you'll be at the Scorpion Homecoming this weekend?
[attachment=58453]

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
compression?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes check compression. OR do you think that maybe your case seals are gone?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have tried to dump fuel down plugs or carb to get going and still won't start... JLO's have 2 case drains on the rear bottom of the crankcase (10mm) DO NOT take all the way out, They are cross drilled and will drain the case. Open and pull over w/o plugs. Leave overnite and should be good.

·
Registered
295 Posts
very good point I forgot JLO had those drain plugs

·
Registered
136 Posts
Crank seals might be the problem. You said you inherited it. Did it sit for years, or was it used every season?

I had an old 72 panther 292 and put 45 miles on it in one day of riding. I stopped in at the neighbor's to warm up by the stove, and grab a cold one.

Never ran after that, great compression, had spark too. Thought spark looked a little weak so took it apart to check points, condensers, coil etc. Got totally aggravated with the old single and dumped a 440 kawa twin in it instead.

Hindsight and talking with other old cat fans they told me the crank seals on the kt150b motors failed regularly.

I bought a 71 capri with a 399 jlo in it and guy told me before buying it it needed crank seals ,yet I got it home and it fired right off with a squirt bottle.

Ruined a great 440 quad plug el tigre due to a bad mag seal. The darn thing ran like a champ but was cooked in less then fifteen minutes:(

Dual carb sleds can 'hide' bad crank seals more then the single carb motors. Watch for higher then normal idle, use spray fluid by the clutch and hear if the idle speed changes at all.

My advice learned the hard way is to install new seals before you go using your sled!

New pistons and cylinders are pricey if even still available.

It is the worst feeling to grenade something that had potential if you only had the patience (intelligence) to go thru your sled thoroughly before using it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts