Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone on here use TSR software. Im think about getting their pipe and head programs. Im just looking for some feedback on what its like if anyone uses it.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I did the same search. not I only got a couple responses on all the forums together. from what I was told it is a good product to get you close. but it runs in dos form for one so it is not very user friendly with windows. the other thing is it is just a base line. if you are building race motors it can be helpfull. if you are thinking of getting it becuase you are going to make a porting spec sheet and pipes for you and your buddies sleds I dont think it will go how you think. after you make a motor with the software you still have to take it to a dyno and tune it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info i dont plan on building all out race sleds i just want to build pipes for my sleds and be able to say "I built that" to me being able to say I built that is cool then all out hp... well sometimes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you want to build a set of pipes and port/mod your own engine, you can't go wrong with TSR Software. It's also worth the price of the package deals, just to get all the PDF's that he sends along as a bonus.

The programs you buy from TSR, although in a somewhat boring & un-flashy DOS format, are performing the same basic calculations that Professor Gordon P Blair developed while conducting his 2-stroke engine research at Queen's University in Belfast Ireland during the '70's & '80's. Tom Turner took these calculations, modified them to his own standards from his extensive 2-stroke race engine experience, and put it all in a nice, easy to use package that anyone can afford.

I use my TSR software all the time, and although I own a lot of other 2-stroke engine simulation programs from different engine designers all around the world, TSR is still the core of any of my 2-stroke engine design work.

Nothing replaces real world testing and fine tuning for your location, but this software will get you really, really close to where you wanted to be....without any backward steps because you were guessing at what you should do to your engine.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
sounds good justpinit!! lets say you had a 03 700 twin. you want to make a set up twin pipes for it. can you make higher rpm raceing pipes? can you make good trail pipes? does it let you set up race and or trail or just race?

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can design an engine/pipe combo that will work at any rpm range you choose. If it won't work at the desired rpm, the software will tell you what's wrong and explain why you can't do it within those design parameters.

I have to admit that Tom made a DOS program look about as cool and user friendly as is possible with that format. I'll also say again that the packages he offers are worth it just for all the extra info he sends you about how to actually fabricate pipes, build little tools to help you do stuff, all kinds of charts and graphs, and tons of articles from other tuners about 2-stroke engines.

Read this article off of TSR's website. It's about a problem with an RM250 motocross bike, and how Eric Gorr goes about tuning out a mid-range only, very peaky powerband using computer simulation software.

http://tsrsoftware.com/redesign.htm

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
thanks!! I have been kicking it around for a couple years but noone has ever really given a good description like you have. its cheap enough. I will have to look into it this winter.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've been trying to learn more about engine building, as I'd like to do head design, porting and exhaust for a small block 6.

I'll have to look into it as well... like stated, you can't find any help on the internet! except here of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is a old thread, but does anyone have the gordon p blair dos software, any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts