Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to tune the 'ol ZRTbefore snow flies.Naturally, I have a few Q's for the gurus out there.

I have 6500 miles on the sled and I'm wondering if I should replace the pistons and rings.Also I'm thinking about a set of Boysen reeds.Would I see any difference?

Last year I found that it was getting boggy in the bottom end.The base gaskets are leaking a wee bit ,so at the very leastI'm gonna put new gaskets in the top end.I'm also thinking about replacing the needle jets and needles.Do you think they would be worn significantly?

·
Registered
608 Posts
If your going to change the base gaskets then you might as well change the rings. While it is apart measure the bore to see if it is within tolerances. I have seen some sleds wear out under 5000 miles but some go 10000. You will get more power out of the rebuild then the reeds. However check the reeds to see if they still seat. If not then just flip them over. I don't think that your needle and jets will be worn much. Most of the time sleds get boggy is because of the clutch. Clean it up good and check the cams and rollers out. Most Cats have nylon bushings in the cams that wear out quckly but are easy to change and cheap. If the cams slop from side to side then change the bushings and maybe the bolts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts