Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sled smokes a lot (blue) at idle. After awhile i check the plugs and they're a little on the black side. If it's running to rich, instead of changing the jets out how about a set of pipes?

·
Registered
134 Posts
are you checking the plugs after it has run idle or after a ride..if you chek them only after it ran idle its normal that they look black a little. the proper way to chek them is to run WOT, chut the engine and then chek the plugs...then if ther black you'r to rich

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
that's pretty normal especially when they are cold.

As XCR said, you can't check the plugs at an idle. Run WOT for 1/2 to 1 mile or if it's on a stand for 30 seconds at fairly high RPM's.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Are the Pipes stock?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a set of bender twins. They are actually slp pipes. Their website gives all the tuning data. It says I only need to change the primary spring to Gold-Pink-Gold. Everything is standard on my sled. I changed the secondary preload to B-2. The weights (4.5 grams)can remain stock on the primary. The only thing I'm worried about is the jetting. I have 157.5's in her now, the tech sheet says that's good for -20 to +10 degrees. It really doesn't get that cold in Michigan. So, by their chart I should change to 155's, for +10 to 40 degree air temp. It also calls for 52 pilots, I have 52.5's. Will it make that big of a difference? There are so many possibilities, I just don't won't to burn her up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the original jetting on them is 152.5(main) and 52(low speed), my course instructor (small equipment tech course) said that he woulden't recoment changin from stock jetting(prolly different for you in a different climate or altitude)because they are pigs on pistons when you change it. as for the smoke, my buddy brought his into the shop because he thought she was burning antifreeze, we checked the cooling system and nothing, turns out they just smoke alot, especially at warmup, and his plugs are usually a bit dark, my instructor said that there should be no problem with it. if any of that helps...lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts