Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what an ultra has stock for pilot jets and needle jets? i just got some SLP pipes in and i havent had a chance to take my carbs apart yet. i want to pick up all the parts to put the pipes on and i want to know what i need. can i get by with just changing my main jets?

thanks.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Typically SLP had you change the mains and the needle to their specifications. But SLP had their own needles and they stopped making them. But, SLP also made three sets of Ultra pipes, some that ran higher RPM and some that ran lower RPM's. So I'll post all three spec sheets and you can take a look for each. But you need to find out what you have and this is the difficulty of buying off of ebay or from a seller who doesn't know. Try and get the pipes identified.

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/instsheets/09-680.pdf

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/instsheets/09-6801.pdf

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/instsheets/09-6802.pdf

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think i have the low RPM pipes...8200-8300rpm suggested. what i realy want to know is what my sled has for stock carburetion so i can make the changes necessary. i want to know what i have for pilots, neddles and needle jets.

thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Go to www.partsland.com or www.ronnies.com and check their carburator picture for your sled. It should say what they were.

I run the SLP needles, 380-390-380 mains, and 30 pilots. I "think" the stock pilot was 40 or 50 and the stock mains were 340 or 350?. Either way you need new jets, and needles.

I'll check into this forumn later and let you know if you haven't found out yet.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot gedertr, that helps alot. i know what i need now to get the pipes properly tuned. if you know anything else i should know about setting these pipes up, let me know. thanks again.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Make sure you have the timing changed. If you don't, you risk detonation. What year is yours?

For your reference:

Carb Settings (0-3000’):
Carb: 38mm Round Slide Mikuni – Stock
Slide: 2.0 Cutaway (want to go to 2.5’s)
Needle: SLP PN 14-101 in position #3
Main Jets: PTO-380, Center-380, Mag-380
Pilot Jets: 30 (all three)
Air Screw: ½ turn
Needle Jet: Stock (247 P4)

Intake Reeds:
Boyeson Power Reed Pedals

Spark Plugs:
BR9ES (Solid preferred)

SLP Pipes:
High RPM Pipes, Single Canister

SLP Clutch Kit 41-75 (for Ultra with SLP pipes):
Drive Spring: 7041080 Polaris Blue
Drive Weights: 1321589 (10-A)
Secondary Helix: 40-42/34
Secondary Spring: 40-42 SLP Black/Blue
Slippery Buttons: 40-9

Chain-Case Gearing:
22/37 – (1.682)
66 Pitch Chain

Drive Belt:
Polaris Top Cog 3211066

SLP Recommended Timing (this needs to be set):
12o BTDC at 8000 rpm
Not exceed 26o at 3500 rpm

Fuel Octane:
Minimum of 92 octane

Suspension:
Stock Xtra-12
Fox Shocks
Hyperfax Slides

Track:
121” x 1-1/4” Camoplast Predator

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my sled is a '96. the instructions say to leave timing stock at 12 degrees at 3500 rpm. ive got some 400 mains for the mag ad PTO sides and a 380 for the center. i will also pick up some different mains to tune it once i get it all together. the pilots are on their way. im leaving the needle jet and needle stock. going to build my own clutch kit when i get the pipes on.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Originally posted by indy_guy
[br]my sled is a '96. the instructions say to leave timing stock at 12 degrees at 3500 rpm. ive got some 400 mains for the mag ad PTO sides and a 380 for the center. i will also pick up some different mains to tune it once i get it all together. the pilots are on their way. im leaving the needle jet and needle stock. going to build my own clutch kit when i get the pipes on.
I think your gonna find that the 400's are to fat. I tried that with mine and i couldnt run but five tens minutes before i would foul plugs. Im running 370's currently. Once you get it dialed in you will be addicted to that sled!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Don't try to run with stock needles and needle jets, it will burn down in midrange! I'd suggest replacing the jets with Q-2 or Q-4's with the stock needles.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have most of my sled apart but im waiting on royal distributing to get me the jets and the dealer getting me new gaskets. now i have to go back and get some Q-2 or Q-4 needle jets. thanks for the heads up. also, did you guys have a hell odf a time trying to fit up the center pipe?? its almost as if the pipe just doesnt fit there.

thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Originally posted by indy_guy
also, did you guys have a hell odf a time trying to fit up the center pipe?? its almost as if the pipe just doesnt fit there.

Do you have the correct manifold for that particular cylinder?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes...their all the same. they all go on facing downward. the instructions say that the center pipe is a tight fit but it looks like ill have a realy hard time squeezing it in. SLP sais to use the stock 247 P-4 needle jets. i cant get by with these??

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it tells me to uise the stock 247 P-4 needle jets. why change them?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you'll probably hear me before you see me[:D]

·
Registered
985 Posts
you change them becuase your not changing your needles. unless you somehow came up with a set of SLP needles????

and i'd change the timing on that sled unless you want to buy new heads.
the 96 CDI advances the motor too far at high RPM, it may not be as pronounced on yours with the low rpm pipes, but i would still retard a little from stock. have you even checked to make sure it is set at 12deg at 3500( edit: i'm going to look this up when i get back to the shop, up there ^^ he recommends 26deg at 3500 and 12 at 8000, i think he has those backward ??)
this much i know, the 96 had different CDI's than the 97-up and while the 96 timing does run better, its on the edge of detonation. the later units are safer.
they used to sell alot of aftermarket heads for ultras becuase of advanced timing detonation issues.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for the imput...so if i went with Q-2's i should be fine?? are those 247 series Q-2's?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts