Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im wondering on how i can tune my extra 12 suspention for a smooth ride but no bottem out to easy im not to good at suspention so any help would be helpfull and also my sled darts alot i have a 97 xlt special

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have an extra 12 and weigh about 230. The suspension preload block is on high and both shocks are pretty close to full preload. The front shock is between full and 3/4 actually. Also the front ski pre-loads are only a few threads from the highest setting. It rides pretty good but I may take a few turns off the shocks to see if it will soften it up without bottoming out. I have a little chart under the hood which has recommended settings for different weight riders. Just trial and error is the only way I know how.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
If she's bucking P6oo, she's way too stiff...It should bottom out on real big bumps, or hard big air landings.
Polaris has setup videos at their website, but not for Xtra 12, but the 12 is not a whole lot different from the 10.
Have a look.
http://www.polarisindustries.com/product/sno/video/02Susp.asp

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an extra 12 plus have also set up my buddies,after I spent considerable time trying mine in different settings. We both weigh in the 280 lb class. Preload on front ski springs 3-4 threads showing.Front suspension spring 3-4 threads showing. Blocks on rear springs on high position. The front shock suspension has an adjustable screw at it base that has approx 21/2 turns form closed to full open.Close to clockwise and opencounter-clockwise approx 11/2 turn. Front sissor blocks set with the dimple on them to the front. On the clutch cover on many models Polaris has settings for different weights

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
iv been told by several ppl and sledders that ur suspention should bottom out 10% of the time is this true?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
iv been told by several ppl and sledders that ur suspention should bottom out 10% of the time is this true?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't know about that madd dog. I've always heard you should only bottom out on the big bumps, but I guess it's what kind of riding you usually do. If you're normally on good trail/roads or lakes you could probably set your suspension up softer than someone who jumps and rides a lot of rough stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry I didn't finish my post, got called away for supper. Didn"t want to miss that. The main reason I weigh 280 lbs. Back to the Extra 12. Since you are a light weight set the block on the rear suspension springs to low. Set the adjustment screw on the front shock of the suspention 2 turns counterclockwise.This hould give you a great starting point and very possibly your best ride. This will do nothing for your darting that is another matter. Use computer search mode for Bergstrom Skegs, get Scotts 800 number and call him. His Ski savers and wear bars will take 98% of the darting out of the sled. He will tell you to get rid of the E_Z steers. Please listen to him and do what he sez,it works. Have converted 7 sled to his system this year with great results. Darting disapeared,more positive steering and cost very reasonable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts